PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Problems

Kalluri
26-01-2005, 07:37 AM
Hi

I'm having a bit of a problem downloading large files from certain sites. Some sites set a download speed of around 2 to 4 kbs which is very slow and some downloads can take 2,3 or 4 hours to download. I have NTL broadband and am using Mozilla Firefox as my browser.
The problem is my download stops after about an hour with this message,
" EXPLORER
An error has occured in your program.
To keep working anyway. Click ignore
and save your work in a new folder.
To quit this program, Click close.
You will lose information you entered
since your last save."

Now I know it's not my browser as it has done it when I used Explorer.
It seems as it can only download so much and then crashes my computer which I have to restart.

Can somebody please help me out as I'm getting near to smashing my computer over the monitor.

Bill
:angry :angry

KiwiLinc
26-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Which version of windows are you using? Sounds like ME! :(

Speedy Gonzales
26-01-2005, 07:48 AM
If you have Spybot or Ad-aware installed, check for spyware.

Kalluri
26-01-2005, 09:09 AM
I am running Windows 98 SE and yes I have both installed.

Bill

somebody
26-01-2005, 09:15 AM
Do you have enough hard drive space left? Could it be that your "large downloads" do not have enough space to go to, so it stops the download?

I see that you are using NTL broadband, I assume you are in the UK? Part of the problem may have something to do with your ISP - do you have any issues downloading similar sized files from other sites?

Prescott
26-01-2005, 10:10 AM
are you using a download manager? and can you please post up your spec's of your pc :)

Kalluri
26-01-2005, 10:21 AM
I have plenty of HD space and yes it seems to do it on most sites.

Bill

Kalluri
26-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Hi prescott

What is a download manager?

My specs are AMD 1700+ 650 MB ram 80 GB HD MMX 440 Graphics card.

Bill.

pixeldust
26-01-2005, 10:29 AM
The next time it does it, open your Task Manager and see if there are any processes running at an unusually high level. Note the names of anything that is. Do this again the next time and see if the same process is there again.

Sounds vaguelly like you have an application installed that ain't agreeing with your PC.