PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Invasion to my account

russcott
25-01-2005, 09:56 PM
I got a 1700 NZD bill from Telecom for Jetstream last month from someone accessing my system.

I run a wireless connection and had it open for a few days (10 or possibly more) while setting WAP, disble broadcasting etc; it took me a while to work all this out as am not that experienced.

Any one has any smart ways to track the prior invader. I have down loaded Lan Guard and checked for connections. Nothing showed up.

Thanks for advice!

I really would like to track the invasion.

ninja
25-01-2005, 10:34 PM
I got a 1700 NZD bill from Telecom for Jetstream last month from someone accessing my system.What makes you think it was someone external accessing it?

WiFi doesn't have the best range, someone would have had to been parked outside your house/work for hours with a laptop to rack up that much in excess charges.

In fact at $0.02 /MB over cap, they would have had to ream 85GB of data through your connection (assuming this is a home setup).

At any rate, there won't be any traces if they have disconnected from your network.

~sy~
25-01-2005, 10:48 PM
I hope you haven't paid it. I wouldn't be suprised if it was something wrong on their side. Ask to speak to the callcentre's team supervisor/manager and ask for a credit whilst explaining its not you. Would be good idea to say something like, 'Look, this is my average for the last few months, so no way would I jump so high suddenly, what can you explain'. Avoid telling them you run a wireless network.

whetu
25-01-2005, 10:49 PM
if your AP is decent, it should have logs of MAC connections... It wont help you find out who did it any faster, but it may help persuade your ISP to drop some of the charges...

The problem is that all you've got to go on is a MAC address, what are you going to do? Interrogate your entire township? The MAC could be spoofed, or it could have been someone who has left town...

I hate to say it, but you may have just learnt the hard way to rtfm when you get a new toy, and you'll have to take most of this on the chin

Elephant
25-01-2005, 11:44 PM
I got a 1700 NZD bill from Telecom for Jetstream last month from someone accessing my system.

I run a wireless connection and had it open for a few days (10 or possibly more) while setting WAP, disble broadcasting etc; it took me a while to work all this out as am not that experienced.

Any one has any smart ways to track the prior invader. I have down loaded Lan Guard and checked for connections. Nothing showed up.I really would like to track the invasion.

So you have an ADSL connection XTRA Jetstream and also a wireless network?

Let us know what system you have and O/S.

Wireless Network can be compromised by your next door neighbour and can connect to your computer then use the ADSL connection.

Confirm this then we may be able to help.

Elephant
25-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Avoid telling them you run a wireless network.

Well I love that one.

Just lie do we?

ninja
26-01-2005, 12:28 AM
So you have an ADSL connection XTRA Jetstream and also a wireless network?
There are other ISP's in the world other than Xtra :thumbs: :mad:

Let us know what system you have and O/S.
How is this going to help?

Murray P
26-01-2005, 01:00 AM
There are other ISP's in the world other than Xtra :thumbs: :mad:

In for a penny in for a pound Ninja, but we'd be better of knowing the brand and model of the gear and at least a town and suburb as well :rolleyes:

agent
26-01-2005, 06:52 AM
In for a penny in for a pound Ninja, but we'd be better of knowing the brand and model of the gear and at least a town and suburb as well :rolleyes:
Exactly, so that we can all converge there... :p

Elephant
26-01-2005, 09:04 AM
There are other ISP's in the world other than Xtra http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/thumbs.gif http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/mad.gif

True but Telecom are doing the billing therefore it is logical to think the ISP is Xtra.

If we know what software is being used then maybe we will know where the logs are.

~sy~
26-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Well I love that one.

Just lie do we?
.. well, otherwise they'll tell you it's your own fault for not valuing security. So you pay!

Metla
26-01-2005, 03:19 PM
It is his own fault, Its certainly not Telecoms.

george12
26-01-2005, 03:26 PM
That's not entirely correct Metla.

A few months ago we got a bill over $2700, apparrently we had done 137GB on the 3GB surf plan (256k).

Now that is 52 days of constant downloading at 32KB/sec - which is impossible inside one month obviously.

They admitted to being at fault - we had only used around 3.5GB, the router told that much and TC's logs did too. How it happened I have no idea.

waimaks
26-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Yep I have trouble with the telecom billing system too, I've had jetstream for a few months now. The first month was great, It was really fast, but seems to have gotten slower and slower (I'm sure its not just me), and my useage has never gone above 10mbs!! I run two pc's off it and am sure that a few months I have definately gone over my 1gb plan :lol: , which is good I guess.