PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer V Outlook Express

kanewm
25-01-2005, 08:08 PM
I have set up my friend system so that by clicking on the Explorer icon he connects automatically. Likewise with Outlook Express.
The problem is that while the Explorer part works fine when the Outlook Express is activated it bombs out -- the reason being is that his password has doubled in length - by deleted the password showing and entering the correct one log in proceeds correctly. Question Why does the password appear to double up.

Speedy Gonzales
25-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Dont know why the double length happens. Just create a dialup icon on the desktop, and dial from that. Once connected check email, and see if OE's password has doubled in length then.

Poppa John
25-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Would it be because some Password Boxes will indicate more *** than the password length? Purely to hide the length of the password, hoping to confuse password hunters??? PJ

Safari
25-01-2005, 09:07 PM
You don't get OE password box unless the the password is incorrect as you are now well aware PJ

Murray P
25-01-2005, 09:20 PM
You don't get OE password box unless the the password is incorrect as you are now well aware PJ

Eh! when did this happen, we've lost even more control than when last I used dialup, settings don't matter anymore?

DUN under XP, at least, adds extra *'s to the password field in the connection dialogue box.

Safari
25-01-2005, 09:34 PM
OE password is normally saved in the account settings. If it appears and you can then connect after retyping the password then the saved password is incorrect.
If the Dialup is set to connect automatically you don't even see the dialup connection with the extra characters in the password box.

Murray P
25-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Pont taken Safari. I was thinking more of DUN than auto dialup (using DUN) with auto download of emails once OE starts, which I never use, I just use the Get mail button in Thunderbird and used to use the equivalent in OE.