PDA

View Full Version : Advice on getting a laptop

tiggertiger
25-01-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm after a laptop I can use for word processing and Internet browsing while overseas in Australia and China.
Any advice for something which would suit this, and be robust, light and under $600 second-hand?

godfather
25-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Your problem in that price range is the word "light".
It will not be.

Look on Trademe.co.nz for an idea of what you could get, if you are located in NZ.

Graham L
25-01-2005, 01:02 PM
The other problem you will strike is that a laptop that cheap is likely to have a dead battery. There goes another $200-300. :( Of course if you'll always have a power point, you don't need a battery. (Anyway you might have to carry or a few adapters. Not all the world uses our 3 pin sockets Basically it's Australia and us. Ignorant foreigners don't conform to our standards ;)).

~sy~
25-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Ignorant foreigners don't conform to our standards ;)).Wash out your mouth while you can before you get told off like me :D

As for buying laptops, try your local paper, Trade and Exchange etc. You're not going to find much good and cheap stuff on TradeMe. Too many people bid...

Mercury
25-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Can you use a NZ modem in both China and Australia? Or are the telephone systems different?

Being my normal cynical self I have to wonder why people are selling off a laptop - is it a legitimate upgrade or quitting something with hidden damage? You could try going for an ex-lease one which may have some sort of short warranty.

Some firms lease laptops (for tax reasons) then trade up at the end of the term, the lease firm then sells off the old one.

I went to Google and typed
lease laptops site:nz A few thousand hits came up, one of the first ones was
this (http://syntech.shopnz.biz/catalog/index.php?cPath=113_114&osCsid=2dba36aeb14753828ae5911b45ea41cc)

Alternatively double the budget and head down to The Warehouse or similar. It might cost more short-term but it should last longer

somebody
26-01-2005, 08:16 AM
http://www.graysonline.co.nz seem to have quite a few very good ex-lease and seized laptops and computers for sale. It may be worth looking there.

The problem with buying 2nd hand is that you are not really covered by any law (I don't think the new act has come into effect yet), so it's buy at your own risk.

Mercury
26-01-2005, 09:02 AM
My daughter bought a 2nd hand laptop just over a year ago from a shop on the North Shore. There was a reasonably major problem which was happily fixed under warranty - a protection you don't get with a private sale.

Years ago my brother-in-law upgraded his laptop and we bought the old one. The "minor" battery problem turned out to be extremely expensive - a new battery needed to be built as they were no longer available. I seem to remember it cost us a bit to find this one out but brother-in-law refunded the cost of the machine.

Myself I'd look at buying a super cheap basic specs new one. If budget couldn't go that far then ex-lease with a warranty. Or you could try a new post "Laptop wanted" and see if any forum members have one for sale. Having the purchase aired in public might stop anyone trying to flog off a lemon. :)

Mercury
02-02-2005, 10:44 AM
An interesting warning in this month's Consumer magazine.

NZer went to the UK for a month, laptop tucked beneath his arm really happy to be able to continue business using global roaming.

Came home to a $2,500 Telecom bill. Xtras charges for global roaming are extremely steep - and hidden in the fine print on the website.

Consumer article available here (http://www.consumer.org.nz/newsitem.asp?docid=2086&category=News&topic=Xtra%20global%20roaming%20charges)