PDA

View Full Version : Installing xp upgrade... with no previous OS

Onyks
25-01-2005, 10:50 AM
I was told that you could install Windows XP with the upgrade disc as long as you had a previous version's disc for proof. Supposedly you put in XP disc first then it asks for proof of previous version so you put in previous version disk and serial. I have a previous disc being used by another computer but the upgrade is not being used by another, it is mine.

I would have to doubt this working but if it really would that would save the grief of installing Win98 and then goin back and upgrading to XP Home.

Summary: Is it possible to upgrade Windows without having an OS? (newly built computer)

Thx

chiefnz
25-01-2005, 10:57 AM
No it's not possible. That's why it's called an upgrade

The license requirements for the upgrade packages are that you already own a legitimate copy of a previous Windows operating system.

If the Win98 is yours and it's running on your PC, all you need to do is install the upgrade XP on it. If you want XP on your new PC then you will have to delete the old 98 installation off your other PC... legally you cannot have Win98 on both even though you will be running XP on the other in the end.

cheers

chiefnz

Speedy Gonzales
25-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Yup with an OEM or fulll version of XP. NOT an upgrade of XP. As you've said you need a previous version of Windows for an upgrade.

I think with upgrades, the previous disk/cd is only required as proof that you have / had a previous version. I dont think it actually installs ALL of the previous version (I maybe wrong, I've never updated from a previous version of Windows to XP). I've used either the OEM or full version. I dont think u enter the previous version of Windows key either. Just XP's.

Then it'll most probably carry on installing XP from CD.

Just boot from the XP CD, (see if it DOES boot) wait for it to tell you to insert the floppy/ies/CD's whatever as proof, and XP will do the rest...

BUT I doubt, if you have to completely install a previous version.

Onyks
25-01-2005, 11:02 AM
umm... would i have to get online to verify?

if i had the unlicensed version and then upgraded to the legitmate version, how would that work?

i know im walkin on fragile grounds but i really dun have the money to buy the full xp

godfather
25-01-2005, 11:05 AM
As above, your problem lies with the End User Licence Agreement (EULA).

To use an upgrade you have to have a valid product to upgrade from that belongs to that PC. What you are suggesting is actually piracy, no matter how you do it if you do not own a separate copy of Windows for that PC to upgrade from.

An upgrade just upgrades an existing licence. It is not a new licence.

Having said that, it would physically work, just not be legitimate.

Onyks
25-01-2005, 11:14 AM
k thx... i was wonderin how all that would work.

this is my first pc to be built all i knew for sure is that if microsoft considers a software pirated they will not allow updates.

ty folk

bartsdadhomer
25-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Yes you can do a clean install from an XP Upgrade CD
Just put in the 98 CD when asked (no license number will be asked for)
Then replace the 98CD with the XP CD when asked to
No, MS will not pick it up as "pirated" and it will update online as normal
Yes it will be "illegal" if you don't actually own the 98CD & License