PDA

View Full Version : Windows Firewall and Remote Assistance

Finn
24-01-2005, 09:10 PM
I have recently installed SP2 and notice that Remote Assistance is ticked in the Exceptions tab of Windows Firewall. Nothing else is ticked and I wonder if this is the default setting. Any ideas would be appreciated.

sambaird
24-01-2005, 09:25 PM
I have recently installed SP2 and notice that Remote Assistance is ticked in the Exceptions tab of Windows Firewall. Nothing else is ticked and I wonder if this is the default setting. Any ideas would be appreciated.
do u use remote assistance

Finn
24-01-2005, 09:33 PM
I have never used Remote assistance and don't really know how it works.

somebody
24-01-2005, 09:40 PM

Hi Finn and welcome to PressF1. Yes, I think it is a default setting so that people don't moan that Remote Assistance doesn't work. If you don't need to use Remote Assistance then you can disable it by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties, and can also untick it from the exceptions tab.

Just in case you don't know what Remote Assistance is, it's a program which allows someone who you send an "invitation" to, to take over your computer and control it remotely - ie through an internet connection, while they're sitting on their home computer across town for example. Most people don't use it.
More info here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx

Murray P
24-01-2005, 10:26 PM
If you neither use or want it, definitely get rid of it. IMO, it's just plain crazy to have such a thing enabled by default.

If you'd like to look into it a bit more, Black Viper's (http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm) XP SP2 configuration is a pretty good place to start. Be careful with some of the names of services, some are very similar.

Finn
25-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Many thanks for the helpful replies. This is a great forum.