PDA

View Full Version : mac LC575 help needed

Morgenmuffel
24-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Greetings all
I got the old amiga working, now whilst out shopping today i found a mac LC575 and bought it (yes I know its ancient, but there was a point in the dim dark past where i actually wanted one of these, but ended up with an extremely expensive ($1200) second hand 386sx with mono monitor)

anyhow
at first it booted up to the "welcome to macintosh screen" and hung, after searching the archives here i tried booting it with the shift key held down, it booted fine. I would like to know how to solve this problem, I think it has something to do with the "extensions"??

I guess the main thing is I don't really know much about Macs, If someone could point me to a site that explains system 7.5.something and how it works (an idiots guide, not a geeks guide) that would be apreciated

one other thing how do I exit programs that are running full screen, I mean the ones where there is no little button to click, the "esc" doesn't work nor does mouse clicking

Thanks

whoops can anyone point me to th link for the download of system 7 and what files i should be grabbing, (apparently apple has made the software free) as all i seem to be able to find are updates

Morgenmuffel
24-01-2005, 06:38 PM
sorry all my brain is still on Sunday time, I forgot to add this

The very first time it booted (I had a friend do this for me as they know more about macs than me)I don't think the "shift" key was held down and there wwas a third party menu/launching bar on the bottom of the screen it had a popup come up saying something to the effect of "the trial period s up you need to register online", I don't know if this helps
I have looked in the extension manager there are about 20 entries as i have no idea what is correct I am unsure of what to kill off

Thanks

Morgenmuffel
24-01-2005, 08:01 PM
well I have disabled all non system 7.5 extensions but this appears to have made no difference still only boots if the shift key is held down.

Safari
24-01-2005, 11:52 PM
I will give you some help with the Mac tomorrow when I have more time.
I have an LC575 which I don't use now but I did for several years and am fairly familiar with OS 7.5

Safari
25-01-2005, 11:24 AM
To close a program just go to File/Quit

To force quit a program hold down the Apple and Option keys together and press Esc

It is not very practicable to download 7.5 as it is 20MB in 19 parts.
Trademe have Systenm 7.5 for sale if you need it.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Apple-macintosh/Software/auction-21504271.htm

Startup with Extensions off by holding the Shift key down
Go to the Apple menu/Control Panel/Extension Manager
You can setup custom extension sets so make sure you have just 7.5 selected
At the top where it says sets, select System 7.5 and restart the computer by going to Special and restart.

If it will still not start normally the only solution is basically to find out which one(s) is the problem by turning them on and getting the problem. Sometimes the easiest way to do this is to divide them up in half and reboot the machine till you get the problem, or just to start turning them on a few at a time till you get the same problem. Once the problem extension is found, try it alone with base System extensions to see if it is conflicting with some other extension. If it works with just basic System extensions, then there is a conflict with another extension and you just have to eliminate the culprits by trial and error.

This site might be some help.
http://www.hawaii.edu/its/micro/mac/trouble.html

Morgenmuffel
27-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the help

the problem happens all the time I turned off all but the system 7.5 extension and it still happened.
I turned all extensions off and it still happened, which has thrown me I must admit, as i thought this would have the same effect as booting with the shift key held down.
oh well it looks like a reinstall may be necessary, (is there anyway to save the software that is on the machine ie, claris works etc)

Thanks Nigel