PDA

View Full Version : Best $50 Heatsink For Socket A

noone
24-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Hi

My mate needs a socket A heatsink for his Amd xp2700 , which is getting to around 70degs when maxed out - onboard sensor on a gigabyte mobo. He has $50 to buy a heatsink which will replace his current stock one which is so bad thaat the copper is screwed onto the aluminum part of the hsf. Currently he is looking at the Thermaltake Volcano 9 for $45. Is this one any good or are there better ones out there for the price ( willing to pay $60 if he has to ). System has 3 case fans but this will soon increase to 4

Graham L
24-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Is it actually reaching 70 degrees C or is the sensor uncalibrated?

Try touching the heatsink. If you can hold your finger on it for more than one second, it's cooler than 70 degrees.

noone
24-01-2005, 04:06 PM
i can touch the heatsink but hes not convinced and wants a new heatsink ( the amd one looks crap and that copper attachment just doesnt seem good ) , I have heard that gigabyte mobos have faulty sensors but as i said hes not listening and wants a new one with $50.

Mirddes
24-01-2005, 04:13 PM
stock heatsinks are nearly always crap

Graham L
24-01-2005, 04:17 PM
AMD supply that assembly, which is designed to keep the CPU cool enough that they don't have to replace it under guarantee. If the fan is still going, I'd suspect that the temperature is OK.

It's not that the sensors are "faulty" ; it's just that they are wide-tolerance components. If they are calibrated, they are perfectly useful. If not,they are like politicians. A recent poster said that their CPU was cooler than the room air. That's physically impossible with a fan/heatsink.

robsonde
24-01-2005, 04:24 PM
as stated by another poster....

the stock heat sink is often crap, most $50 Coolers will be better as far as the cool part goes....

noise is the other probelm, a lot of $50 heatsink sets will keep the CPU very cool and sound like a 737 ready for take off.

and BTW 70 degrese is OK as a running temp if you check the AMD spec sheet.

lagbort
24-01-2005, 06:12 PM
the other thing to remember since this is a socket-a gigabyte mobo, most gigabyte boards (well at least the ones in the 7n400 series) tend to read the temp as about 10 degrees higher than it actually is, that was one of the things that initially scared me when I got my 7n400-l1 and it started reading high temps, but a bit of research revealed this overstated sensor :p

E|im
24-01-2005, 06:53 PM
http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=121323

Is probably one of the best, or get this:

http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=121324

if you already have a fan you can use. See if you can get one off Trademe or somewhere for under $50 or shop around with Pricespy. Saw a few going on OCNZ not long ago.

~sy~
24-01-2005, 07:46 PM
I'd go with any one of the Volcano range. More expensive usually = better ;) I have heard that they are quite good across the whole range.

Zygar
24-01-2005, 07:58 PM
The Volcanos are extremely noisy though. I'm not sure on the exact prices, but a heatsink by Thermalright and a Panaflo fan is probably your best bet, or you could get a Zalman HSF, they're apparently good also.