PDA

View Full Version : Networking Problem

iansmcdonald
23-01-2005, 09:18 PM
I have a small network of computers with a mixture of W2k Pro, XP Pro & XP Home. They all connect to the internet and each other via an ADSL connection & router. Today I added one more computer to the network. (XP Home).
My problem is that this new computer can successfully ping all the others, but cannot ping itself or see the others in "My Network".
All computers are in the "Workgroup", and the rest can see each other, and they can see the new computer with its correct name, but can't connect. The new computer does have shared folders.

The new computer can access the internet quite happily.

The new computer can see "Workgroup", but comes up with an error message when trying to see what's in "Workgroup".
I suspect I'm missing some simple but vital step.
Any ideas anybody?

Ian.

darkwire
23-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Hi, have you run the network setup wizard. It might also pay to check out a site that tells u about the downsides to having XP home i think it has a limit on the amount of comupters it can connect with

sambaird
23-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Hi, have you run the network setup wizard. It might also pay to check out a site that tells u about the downsides to having XP home i think it has a limit on the amount of comupters it can connect with
i think the limat is 5 on home

beama
23-01-2005, 11:42 PM
The new computer can see "Workgroup", but comes up with an error message when trying to see what's in "Workgroup".

Whats the error message?

Rob99
23-01-2005, 11:54 PM
What are the TCP/IP settings?

pc_doctor
24-01-2005, 09:58 AM
i think the limat is 5 on home
Theres no limit what so ever i have 7 computers connected on win xp Home

Speedy Gonzales
24-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Well, yer there is meant to be a limit Home - 5 Pro - 10.

The only way you would get 7 on Home, is if it isnt legit.

Or you're using something to get around this limit of 5 for a network on Home.

godfather
24-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Speedy is correct.

However any unused connection will drop after 15 minutes (default timing) of inactivity and allow another connection to use the available slot. So it may seem like more are connected, just not concurrent connections that is all.

It is all covered here.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314882