PDA

View Full Version : Can a CPU be too cool?

Onyks
23-01-2005, 08:25 PM
A simple question requires a simple answer but an explanation would be appreciated just as well.

Scenario: I have a P4 2.8gHz HT cpu but it needed a better heatsink... the one i bought was rated up to 4.4gHz. If it is possible to overcool then is it possible to control the cpu heatsink by BIOS or other means?

mejobloggs
23-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Well, some people are extremely cool with liquid nitrogen. That is ermm, -196 degrees or something. Ah, here is a link

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031230/index.html

So I would guess that its pretty hard to overcool your cpu, until maybe the electrons get too cold for their fitness routine around the block, or whatever happens in a CPU.

Onyks
23-01-2005, 09:30 PM
lol -196... wow... yea i think im safe

thanks for the link

Graham L
24-01-2005, 02:43 PM
A "heatsink" with fan can't "overcool".

All it can do is get itself, and the attached CPU down to a bit above the temperature of the air it is transferring heat to. You can probably vary the fan speed with a programme, but it's not something I have looked at much.

A "super" fan might move more air than is needed to get to this state. But it can't get the temperature any lower.

Unfortunately, the laws of thermodynamics are unbreakable.

The laws are:

You can't win.
You can't break even.
You can't get out of the game.

the highlander
24-01-2005, 03:01 PM
I believe any cpu would be most happy at absolute zero :D
No such thing as a too cool cpu unless the sensors are speaking with forked tongue.

noone
24-01-2005, 03:09 PM
normally thermal compounds have a min temp in which below stuff happens

mejobloggs
24-01-2005, 03:14 PM
I dont know if you will find this interesting, but it could be something to watch out for.

There are some fans that can push air extremely fast. I saw a review at tomshardware (i think) about some fan system that had two fans, one sucking it in, and the other fan behind it, blowing it into the PC. The idea was that the air got compressed in between the two fans, and shot into the computer at a high speed or something.

The problem was, that the air travelled too fast to cool anything apparently, and it was worse than a normal fan, or close to.

Yup, that's my piece of random info.

Zygar
24-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Wow, that liquid nitrogen cooling system is pretty cool.

I want one.

Prescott
24-01-2005, 08:22 PM
its amazing what you can do with a P4 :p