PDA

View Full Version : COMPUTER WONT TURN ON!!!!!!

antonio_montana
23-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Hey...
The other day while i was playing NFSU 2 my PC just turned off al by its self i assumed it overheated so i left it for a while after 1 hour it still wasnt working. the computer would turn on the CPU fan and the other fan would spin for half a second and then it would stop and the LED RAM light would stay on. The PSU fan also spun for half a second and then stoped. So i removed my video card, sound card, hard drive, CD/DVD drives and the RAM and the same problem occured. So i thought it might be the PSU.......Today i opend up my PSU looked inside and i noticed there was this black cylinder shaped object with copper coiled around it on that copper there was melted plastic and the copper had turned a much darker colour almost black. I was just wondering could this be the problem with the PSU???

bartsdadhomer
23-01-2005, 03:18 PM
I think we already covered this one in your other thread on the exact same subject.
(which is where you should have posted this thread to keep the forum nice & tidy)
Chances are what you've described is the problem.
You need a new PSU.
Just to add, unless you really know what you're doing you shouldn't be opening up a PSU.
They can still store enough grunt to send you halfway across the room if you touch the wrong bits.
Chuck it in the bin & get a new one.

antonio_montana
23-01-2005, 03:26 PM
well im lucky then arent i..........the problem is i dont want to throw away $50 on a 400w PSU then find out that its a problem with my CPU then i need to spend $300 but i guess i have to...but anyway im just thinking if the PSU is broken why does it have enough power to turn on the LED light??

Speedy Gonzales
23-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Depending on where this LED is and what motherboard u have or videocard, when this LED light is on, if u have an ASUS mobo, it means the mobo is fine and warning u not to do anything inside the case / on the mobo, while its LIT.

If the LED is on or near an AGP slot, it can mean the voltage for that videocard, is too high for the AGP slot. And it's warning you not to use that videocard.

antonio_montana
23-01-2005, 03:44 PM
ok cool il just buy a new PSU tomorrow. Thanks guys.....bye

~sy~
23-01-2005, 05:27 PM
ok cool il just buy a new PSU tomorrow. Thanks guys.....bye
Yea, I suspect it would be a faulty PSU problem, however, I'm not too sure how it then has enough power to start the fans, only to shut it off a few seconds later

Keep me informed with your results

Onyks
23-01-2005, 08:43 PM
umm im not too great with computer hardware related things (im building my first) BUT the cylinder-shaped object you are talking about is almost definately a fuse of some sort. If you are sure it isnt, disregard this message.

you know like when i light bulb goes out due to a surge it turns black and can flash-fry/burn/melt things around it.

ANYWAYS my point is, might wanna try to fix the problem or at least get it looked at before you buy a new PSU altogether.

A fuse can cost under 1$. Like i said im not too good about computer hardware BUT i have replaced electrical reciptacle fuses and fuses in cars and even a ps2 and xbox. problem solved w/o resorting to new hardware.

hope i helped :)

Onyks
23-01-2005, 08:45 PM
aye also... if there are more than just one cylinder-shaped things then just one fuse going out will not limit all power. it will only remove the specific amount of power it was in place to regulate.

antonio_montana
24-01-2005, 02:45 AM
~sy~: Yep il keep you informed

Onyks: if you are right about it being a fuse it would explain why the led light turns on and it would also explain the fan. It has enough power to jolt them for a second but not to keep them running i will buy a new PSU tomorrow and let use know how it went thanks for al da help...l8ta

pheonix
24-01-2005, 09:33 AM
It is not a fuse, by description, sounds like an inductor. The ATX has 2 power supplies in it. One is the low-power standby 5Volts that powers the circuitry that turns your computer on when the button is pushed. Also allows for wake on LAn and wake on ring.
The main part of the power supply provides the real power. This is starting up, but the power supply protection is shutting it down again. Something internal to the power supply or external to it, is causing the protection to kick in, and shutdown the power supply.
The only way to confirm what is the problem....replace the power supply. There are ways to test the power supply, but sounds like you won't have the equipment anyway.
Hope that helps.

Agent_24
24-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Probably a cheap PSU trying to provide too much power for too long and burning out.