PDA

View Full Version : So, u think ur 19in LED screen is big? Check this!

Strommer
23-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Hold on to your hats folks, get ready to be impressed. As they say, everything is bigger and better in America... ;)

Last week's BBC Click Online (TV1, wee hours of the morning, 3 days a week) came from Las Vegas, and they showed the world's largest LED screen. Here are the specs:

1500 feet long by 45 feet wide (about 4 soccer fields)
12.5 million LEDs (each must be considerably bigger than PC screen LEDs)
550,000 watts of sound (at least 4 PCs control the audio)
60 frames per second
9600 Gb of storage
Made by LG Electronics, who also have a $10 million USD screen
in Times Square NYC

The screen itself is curved and is situated over Freemont Street, Las Vegas. From what could be seen on TV, the display (light and sound show) was stunning.

Mirddes
23-01-2005, 12:53 PM
wheres mine!?

Shortcircuit
23-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Oh God... have to build another extention on the house and jump over the fence next door to find the scroll bar!

E|im
23-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Liquid Crystal Display and Light Emmiting Diode are two different technologies. If I had a 19" LED computer monitor it would probably look terrible compared to a 19" LCD.

And ah this thread is worthless without pics. ;)

Graham L
23-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Standard round LEDs are 10mm, 5mm or 3mm diameter. They'll be high intensity, so probably pull 30 or 40 mA at 3V average (forward voltage varies with colour). 12.5 million of them (and their drivers) will mean you will need a fairly big power cable. They might even use the new 1W or 5W LEDs (but getting rid of the heat from even ordinary LEDs would be a problem).

Wiring it up must have been a highly interesting task.:(

Ash M
23-01-2005, 03:59 PM
I've seen thats. Its not as impressive as it sounds. It's basically just a big light show they bill as the 'Freemont Street Experience'

~sy~
23-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Liquid Crystal Display and Light Emmiting Diode are two different technologies. If I had a 19" LED computer monitor it would probably look terrible compared to a 19" LCD.

And ah this thread is worthless without pics. ;)
I'm confused... LED or LCD?

E|im
23-01-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm confused... LED or LCD?

So, u think ur 19in LED screen is big? Check this!.

mejobloggs
23-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Cool.

I read something about OLED's, how they could just be kinda sprayed onto some special card/plastic, so you could easily get a whole wall done as your monitor, with better quality than an LCD screen. Something like that anyway.

Onyks
23-01-2005, 09:28 PM
As with current technology LCD screens will not get much bigger than about... i think ive seen a 30" 16x9 aspect... they have created "projection" lcds but the bigger, the more distorted.

there are also many other technologies to make things bigger and prettier. i cant wait to see a DLP monitor... wow

as for the light show hes talking about... we americans (apparently) make up for our lack of history and architectural marvels with "check out this big-a** tv!!!"

lol although i would like to see this biga** tv im still slightly annoyed by our (american) obsession with the biggest, loudest... well, anything.

sambaird
23-01-2005, 09:55 PM
i think ive seen a 30" 16x9 aspect...
i think you are thinking about the apple cinema displayes
http://www.apple.com/displays/

Strommer
25-01-2005, 10:54 AM
Standard round LEDs are 10mm, 5mm or 3mm diameter. They'll be high intensity, so probably pull 30 or 40 mA at 3V average (forward voltage varies with colour). 12.5 million of them (and their drivers) will mean you will need a fairly big power cable. They might even use the new 1W or 5W LEDs (but getting rid of the heat from even ordinary LEDs would be a problem).

Thanks for the explanation Graham. For some reason my eyes saw LCD instead of LED, and I wondered how there could only be 12.5 million of the tiny LCDs on such a gigantic screen. LEDs are the ones used in truck brake lights, I believe.

As for the comment about the Freemont Street light show not being impressive, well, I guess when you go to a place like Las Vegas (I have been there twice, but not for about 15 years), all of the lights and glitz produce an overdose that numbs and dumbs. Anyway, it sure looked cool on TV. :p