PDA

View Full Version : norton antivirus2005 vs avg free edition

petil
22-01-2005, 10:23 PM
hi new to forum have run norton anti virus for years someone told me avg was better so downloaded it updated both antivirus lists then ran both and avg picked up 4 viruses/trogan horses that norton hadnt is this usual?
at present i have both programs running is there any problems running both at once (sounds wierd to me)which program do most forum users prefer (ive just updated to norton 2005 so not keen to have another subscription to avg )
comp is running xp pro with dial up modem
thanks in advance peter

godfather
22-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Do not run both.

You can get an unseen conflict as they both act on a virus, and they can then both fail to operate correctly.

Choose 1 and stay with it.

Kame
22-01-2005, 11:32 PM
petil, yes this is usual.

Although, they may not be viruses but Malware instead that it's picking up, but still Nortons should consider this don't you think? Dialers aren't considered viruses by Nortons, but AVG considers them Trojans, I find AVG does it's job acceptable and performance wise is better. However Nortons uses more performance for added protection against viruses, it's realtime scanning is more indepth. Either way, both are known to do their job, AVG does a bit more than required, Nortons, digs further when searching but doesn't capture Malware.

I've now come to a conclusion that the software needed to fix these types of problems is, Firewall, Antivirus, Trojan Remover (does better when faced with trojans) and Spyware cleaners. There's probably more, but this should be the basics, others I would suggest are Registry Monitors, Network Monitors, File Monitors but this is probably on an advanced level or higher paranoia level.

Kame.

Chilling_Silence
22-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Ive noted similar experiences to Kames and would recommend AVG 7 Free Edition :)

theother1
23-01-2005, 12:18 AM
avg picked up 4 viruses/trogan horses that norton hadnt is this usual?

In my experience this is normal performance for Nortons

tweak'e
23-01-2005, 12:53 AM
as a general rule a paid ativirus is generally more feature filled and "better" than any free antivirus.

i havn't really seen nortons perform better or worse than AVG, however 95% of problems with nortons comes from lack of updateing, the other 5% is from nortons bugs. with the amount of non-virus related problems with nortons i've seen laetly i would be inclined to ditch it. AVG is fine for medium-small net users.

pc_doctor
23-01-2005, 03:09 AM
It's annoying none of these virus programs can prevent Spyware or Premium rate dialers. So you have to buy other software

drcspy
23-01-2005, 06:22 AM
I disagree that 'paid' av progs are generally better than the free ones........on several occasions i've seen avg pick up nasties that norton missed......

pc_doctor
23-01-2005, 06:34 AM
I disagree that 'paid' av progs are generally better than the free ones........on several occasions i've seen avg pick up nasties that norton missed......

I agree aswell.

Its like the premium rate dialer block that block these phonecalls, active x and spyware. This is free and it is perfect for people that get preium rate numbers on their phone bill without knowing the computer has dialed to this number. This is what you call decent FREEWARE!

drcspy
23-01-2005, 07:14 AM
lol.........however re your previous comment as to having to buy more software to block spyware etc..........nope you dont.......there are a number of very good programs out there that you dont need to buy to block this crap.....also it's quite often the case that people get suckerd into buying 'antispyware' progs because some of these programs actually scan your pc but then put 'false positives' into their scan result report to goad you into thinkin you need to pay to remove them.........

Prescott
23-01-2005, 09:11 AM
AVG 7 is way better than NAV2005,
when i brought my pc i had NAV2003 installed, i found that it would take ages to load xp and overall the performance of my system was crap, i uninstalled NAV and then the problems went away, NAV2003 is a system hogg

pc_doctor
23-01-2005, 09:39 AM
when i brought my pc i had NAV2003 installed, i found that it would take ages to load xp and overall the performance of my system was crap, i uninstalled NAV and then the problems went away, NAV2003 is a system hogg
Does AVG find spyware and some virus that are found in NAV. What is the spec of the machine u ran NAV on yourself

Prescott
23-01-2005, 09:41 AM
P4 1.8A Ghz,256Ram,40Gb Hdd,
for spyware you just use spybot s&d

pc_doctor
23-01-2005, 09:49 AM
P4 1.8A Ghz,256Ram,40Gb Hdd,
for spyware you just use spybot s&d

U gotta pay for that though and it means more programs, and more expensive and spybot doesnt always pick up spyware, thats when you have to use other programs, that can

Prescott
23-01-2005, 09:54 AM
what?? spybot is free mate, and its the best anti spyware program around, its HIGHLY recommended around here

Big John
23-01-2005, 10:03 AM

So you don't have NAV since 2003? Then you are not qualified to say what you did above You are comparing one version of NAV against another and assuming they are the same.

People should go with what they are comfortable with. They guy asked a question on which other thought were better. NAV2005 or AVG. It was not NAV2003 or AVG.

And to answer the question myself. NAV2005 has never played up with me, I have never had a virus that it didn't pick up as soon as it hit my system and if he went for the IS as well it is even better as you get a firewall.

drcspy
23-01-2005, 10:06 AM
lol I aint heard of much spyware that spybot dont pick up but just to be on the safe side i also occasionally run ad-aware and where you got the idea you gotta pay for spybot i cant imagine....oh by the way for anyone who's interested spybot has a lovely beta version out 1.4 which has a registry minder built into it so if any app tries to lodge itself into the startup keys then it jumps up and tells you giving you the option of letting it happen or not........I think this is excellent.....

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/SpyBotSearch-Destroy-Download-1865.html

when you set it up theres an option you should tick that allows this .........

bartsdadhomer
23-01-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm also an AVG fan, it uses less system resources & tends to have less bugs & causes less problems than Nortons
Use in conjunction with spybot, ad-aware & PF1, I've never had any problems keeping my systems clean.
Even though all these products are free we do recommend users "donate" to the authors so they can keep providing the apps for free.
Even a small amount ($5US) will enable the authors to keep future development & updates going.

Prescott
23-01-2005, 12:45 PM
So you don't have NAV since 2003? Then you are not qualified to say what you did above You are comparing one version of NAV against another and assuming they are the same.

People should go with what they are comfortable with. They guy asked a question on which other thought were better. NAV2005 or AVG. It was not NAV2003 or AVG.

its was an example, actually i am qualified as i do have NAV2005 but i havent tried it out due to my past experience, but you do have a point, ill take that back :o

notechyet
23-01-2005, 01:59 PM
To Norton Antivirus
I have used Norton for a number of years and found no problems with viruses at all. Though it is slow on doing system checks, uses quite a large amount of resources and I remember NAV 2003 to be very slow when starting up WinXP.
All in all I musst say it does the job and never had a virus problem!!

Regards to you all :)

Gion

braindead
23-01-2005, 04:50 PM
I run Avast Free and AVG Free. Avast is my 'active' always on virus scanner. AVG I've set up so I can scan individual files or whole drives with a right click.

They complement each other. This morning, for the third time this week, AVG picked up a trojan that Avast missed. Sometimes it's the other way round.

As well as this I run The Cleaner, a dedicated trojan scanner, as well as SpyBot and AdAware.

:) Cheers ~ John

tweak'e
23-01-2005, 05:32 PM

what did it find? and why did nortons miss it?

putting any new antivirus onto a system that has an out of date, broken or poorly configured antivirus will always find virus's that the old one didn't find.

i notice a lot of people saying that nortons didn't find xyz trojen. odds are the trojen is adware/spyware. the catch with that is adware is often legit. wether you call it a virus or not depends on how fussy you are. one AV company may not rate a certain adware as been very bad so it won't bother detecting it while another thinks its a nasty so it will detect it. it all depends on what you call nasty and adware/spyware is a big grey area.

drcspy
23-01-2005, 06:02 PM
what was it ?.........couldnt really say I've seen this happen on about half a dozen occasions...and most of those times norton has been up to date....as i'm a tech I carry the 'intelligent updater' around on cd and regularly download up-to-date versions.........and I recall at least one occasionn where it definitely wastn' any kind of 'adaware'.......the systems symptoms included the dreaded 'page cant be displayed' and on dial up 'sent data' kept goin up and up and up waaaaaaaaayyyyyy above received and that's only from a connection.......typical virus activity........

tweak'e
23-01-2005, 07:25 PM
'intelligent updater' dosn't update nortons fully (don't know about corprate vers tho).

tweak'e
23-01-2005, 08:05 PM
sorry for quick reply before....

the point here is i doubt anyone here has ever done any proper testing of AV progs. everything here is so highly subjective.
you need to factor in WHY people go from a paid AV to a free AV (eg out of date and don't want to pay subs). the odds are they are infected hence the new AV will detect the virus so therefore its assumed new AV is better than the old one.

DukeOfAnus
24-01-2005, 11:16 AM
I got hit with a trojan the other day, downloaded AVG and it found 3 objects that Norton 2005 didn't. My copy of Norton was pirated but that's a rip that anyone would pay $50 when you don't get what you pay for.

Prescott
24-01-2005, 12:53 PM
ahem (http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=52243)

pheonix
24-01-2005, 01:21 PM
MMmm a conundrum, if you have an up-to-date Antivirus.....how do you KNOW that a virus/worm/trojan has been missed by it?

I agree, in that, a lot of people immeadiately class spyware as a virus, if that Anti-virus program picks it up. The same line is getting blurred by some AV calling spyware a Trojan.

I think this " this AV is better than this AV " is pointless when you consider both the above mentioned AV programs have been passed by the recognised testers.. Virus Bulletin (http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/about/index.xml) and ICSA Labs (http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/index.shtml)

Metla
24-01-2005, 01:44 PM
MMmm a conundrum, if you have an up-to-date Antivirus.....how do you KNOW that a virus/worm/trojan has been missed by it?

Random file names present on the comp and in startup,rouge folders and exe's (sp.exe anyone?) outgoing traffic when comp is idle.....

petil
25-01-2005, 07:14 PM
wow what a responce seems everyone has there own opinion unfortunately having 2 antivirus programs running was causing comp to crash big time so i have deleted avg and stayed with norton
thanks heaps for your input
peter

Murray P
25-01-2005, 07:42 PM
For reasonably up to date antivirus software testing go to Hackfix Antivirus Detection Tests (http://www.hackfix.org/miscfix/icons-av-all.shtml)

Personally, I moved from NAV (had it over two versions) to PCcillin (two versions) to AVG Free to Nod32 (paid). I'm very happy with Nod, mainly because it does all of what the main players antivirus programmes do but with a smaller footprint.

I also run AVG Free on the family machine, but should've probably put Nod on that before my own just because of the more varied use it is put to on the net (son likes downloading, especially games & daughter will click on anything that looks interesting to her, although danger that's starting to sink in after a few words).

With the main players, go with what suites your usage, pocket (a secondary consideration at best), and the PC's grunt. Trial before you buy.

For those that appear to be running two virus scanners at once, don't. They generally don't play nice together and you can get false positives in virus definition files and quarantine. On the other hand, if you don't mind sluggish response and mysterious [sic] crashes, go ahead :thumbs:

angel_face
10-11-2005, 05:30 AM
lol.........however re your previous comment as to having to buy more software to block spyware etc..........nope you dont.......there are a number of very good programs out there that you dont need to buy to block this crap.....also it's quite often the case that people get suckerd into buying 'antispyware' progs because some of these programs actually scan your pc but then put 'false positives' into their scan result report to goad you into thinkin you need to pay to remove them.........

hiiiiiiii i will like to know how to download antivirus for free cos my computer has no protection my name is angel pls can u gave me a site to downlaod the antivirus protection

sam m
10-11-2005, 05:45 AM
Hi angel_face.
Welcome to Press F1.
Go here (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5) for the free version of AVG. I have tried few others and this seems to be as good as any commercial programme out there however like all anti virus programmes it is no good unless you keep it regularly updated.

Sam

SurferJoe46
10-11-2005, 06:04 AM
U gotta pay for that though and it means more programs, and more expensive and spybot doesnt always pick up spyware, thats when you have to use other programs, that can

I see these "reviews" by people who miss a few important facts about Spybot S&D.

1) They run the default mode...not the advanced mode.
2) They fail to check to see if any of the scan areas are turned off. This happens a lot and SB is one of the first things spyware and viruses try to disable.
3) after each and every update (manually do this in advanced mode), then you have to Immunize the system.
4) go to the settings area and click on the IGNORE PRODUCTS, right click in the main screen and click the "De-Select all".
5) Then go and do your scan.

You'd be amazed at what has been turned off by malware and will not be defended against by SB that way.

If one runs a crippled version of SB, they get what they don't want...or know about.

Turn on TeaTimer. It is a real-time scanner. It costa a little in RAM, but it's really worth it.

All in all, SB is one of the finest anti's out there. Everybody owes Patrik Kolla a big hand.

It's always good to have a few different anti-virus systems running...but not more than one firewall. Windows will review all the anti's and make sure they are up-to-date and make that report in the SECURITY CENTER. Here it will give one a report on what is or isn't working.

I like to run M$'s Baseline Security Scanner too. It is very intensive and gives a neat report on your updates ands what is weak or missing or good. (I know..it phones home..but you can control when and if it does that.)

If in doubt about the integrity of M$, then at least run Belarc Adviser for almost the same (and some other areas) reports. You do not have to be on line to run Belarc...it is a resident once you download it the first time.

<stepping off soapbox again>

pctek
10-11-2005, 07:51 AM
wow what a responce seems everyone has there own opinion unfortunately having 2 antivirus programs running was causing comp to crash big time so i have deleted avg and stayed with norton
thanks heaps for your input
peter
That was the wrong way round. You should have kept AVG.

JJJJJ
10-11-2005, 07:51 AM
I've never used AVG, but I have used NAV for years.
I think as an a/v program it is as near perfect as they come.As far as I know it has never let a virus in. Mine is set to auto update and I just install it and in the main ,forget it.
I do run a full scan about once a month and in ten years the scan has never found anything at all. On occasions I get a notification that NAV has intercepted something, but it gets the chop before it gets in.
Also now with a good ISP your downloads are checked for viruses and spam and most, if not all, are stopped at the server.
So I will stay with NAV.
Another thought. I have never seen a free program that was worth the effort of installing .

drcspy
10-11-2005, 08:44 AM
well let me assure you that as a tech i have on several occasions this year alone had to use AVG to remove trojans that norton missed........and I'm talkikn norton 2005 up-to-date as well............useless program.......

drcspy
10-11-2005, 08:46 AM
and as for your last comment this verges on the ridiculous.......are you saying that because spywareblaster/spybot/ad-aware/Ms antispyware/avg/avast/.....and an enormouse range of other programs 'arent' worth installing ' because they're free ?........

Strommer
10-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Some may find NAV OK but many of us here on PF1 have experienced various problems with it and therefore would not recommend it. Do a PF1 search for Norton's for confirmation of this.

AVG is good, but do not overlook Avast antivirus.
Download this excellent freebie here (http://www.avast.com)
I used to run AVG but find Avast better, and a number of PF1ers also prefer Avast.

Metla
10-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Nortons=Poo.

JJJJJ
10-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Alright, alright, I'm in the minority. But I like Norton and I can't see any reason to change.

And as for freeware. Some may be OK. but they are usualy only partly complete. Every freeware app I have looked at tries to sell you the complete version. Most freeware is just a gimick to get you to buy.
So There.

Strommer
10-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Alright, alright, I'm in the minority. But I like Norton and I can't see any reason to change.

And as for freeware. Some may be OK. but they are usualy only partly complete. Every freeware app I have looked at tries to sell you the complete version. Most freeware is just a gimick to get you to buy.
So There.

If NAV works well for you, keep and enjoy it !

Re: "Incomplete" freebies - often the missing items are not all that worthwhile, e.g. cosmetic appearance or more user friendly features. Often the freebie version is for home use only, but will cost if used for commericial purposes.

Trev
10-11-2005, 12:14 PM

So There.

Hey Jack I run NAV 2005, have no problems with it, have just renewed my update subs for another year. Use to use AVG until it started telling me I had viruses which I didn't have.

Trevor :)

drcspy
10-11-2005, 01:07 PM
thts' interesting it told you you had viruses which you 'didn't have' ......how did you ascertain that you dind't have it ?.......at least it's not like norton which often will come up with a clean scan then you install avg alongside it and find numerous trojans.......and belive me I've done this on several occasions.....and no - avg wastn' giving false positives cause other things were also indicating the presence of nasties.....

drcspy
10-11-2005, 01:11 PM
i have difficulty comprehending why people actually pay for a program which is so innefective........if you must pay buy nod32 it is not only the best a/v out there it's made by a kiwi !

kjaada
10-11-2005, 01:23 PM
As usual forums on virus protection develop into slanging matches between members pushing their own preference.The question should really be what real benefit does one get from paying pretty good money to have a resource hog as against a freebee.Virus's are designed
to get past protection that you had yesterday and so you must keep up with tomorrows update to keep ahead.I have a freebee (I will not name it)on my windows system and EVERY 1st time start up on any day I am updated and told so before anything else takes place.

intel hunter
10-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Just an aside here. I am not into flame wars over which Antivirus is best, but did anyone here notice or read where Symantic were, or have already, increased the subscription fees without telling consumers? Just a snip from an article I have read is as follows.

"Symantec recently increased renewal prices for subscriptions to its Norton AntiVirus and Norton System Works software to $20. That $5--or 33 percent--increase follows similar increases in previous years.

But even as it raises these prices, Symantec is keeping the subscription renewal price on its Norton Internet Security suite flat at $30, just $10 more than the renewal fee for the stand-alone antivirus product. (Norton Internet Security retails for around $70, compared to around $50 for Norton AntiVirus.)"

I have read on another website they did this without telling anyone, go figure.

I myself prefer a free antivirus, and just as well it seems.

Battleneter
10-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Anything that slows down your computer as much as Nortons does, is a virus in itself.

There are plenty of great AV proggy's out there, Nortons is not one of them, Id rather have half the viruses than run Nortons. If your into a slow piggy computer go for it!, and as for there security suite, OMG its like running A 386 emulator its so slow.

CorbinH
10-11-2005, 05:47 PM
I love AVG and hate Norton to put it simply lol... Norton is a resource hog and like you said on the very first post, it missed 4 things AVG got... Also AVG is free... I always like free