PDA

View Full Version : How record to CD from microphone

StanHood
22-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Hi, I used to think I was really really clever but do not have a clue how to record from the microphone input on my sound card to my CD writer. I found that plugging in a stereo mic., then going to the Sound Recorder (start, programs, accessories, entertainment, Sound Recorder) on my Win 98SE and selecting a new file just like the Help file said I should, doesn't work. The system appears to think it is creating a .wav file, and it certainly does that, but there is nothing in the file, and my Media Player faithfully plays back the "nothing" that has been recorded. How do I make the Sound recorder actually record sound? And after I have my sound file(s), I want to be able to burn to CD in a format which will allow the CD to play the file on a regular domestic music player? How do I achieve all that? Do I need extra software or hardware?

Win98SE, 256MB RAM, 4GHz HDD, 665MHz.

Thanx
Stan

Speedy Gonzales
22-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Make sure MIC is ticked under volume control, so when u speak something moves in sound recorder. When u go to record your voice.

If u have Nero installed, that will burn it to cd, so anything will play it.

Bazza
22-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Stan, Speedy is correct, but be aware that the windows 'vol control' has 2 features.

There is a 'play control' & a 'record control'..

In the play control, ticking an input like mic, mutes the sound from your speakers.

But for your purposes, you need to goto the record control. That controls the sound for recording. Ticking an input there 'selects' the input for recording, such as your mic.

Is that any help Stan ?

Robby
23-01-2005, 10:36 AM
gidday,

your microphone, may need selecting in the volume controls,
open the volume controls, click options, then properties, place a dot in
recording, and click to place a tick in the microphone box, click ok.
Place a tick, in the microphone box, move the volume control up.

click ok all the way out, check your volumes.

good luck,

Robby

StanHood
23-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Many thanks to Speedy Gonzales, Bazza and Robby. I was able to get my microphone recording OK. I do appreciate the fast responses.

My microphone may be a bit sick, or my sound card may be sick, because the sound level is pretty low and distorted even with the volume controls turned all the way up in my recordings and playbacks. My gear is fairly old and probably needs fixing. But the low sound has nothing to do with the great advice I have received. As a hardware man I feel a lot happier now. Computer shop here I come to talk microphones and new sound cards.

By the way, my Sound Recorder only allows me to talk for one minute. Can that be extended, or should I talk buying a sound recording program from the computer shop?

Thanks again

Stan

StanHood
23-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Ah, I have been poking around websites. You can extend Sound recorder beyond one minute, but it is a tedious thing to do. The files are not overly compressed in Sound Recorder, so the files can end up pretty big if you try to go beyond a few minutes anyway, so I read from the sites.

Cheers

Stan

godfather
23-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Use Audiograbber. It's free
http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

Should record from a mic OK.

You need to make sure that your microphone is the correct type for your PC. Many sold for PC's are "dynamic" types when the PC's are often only able to use "electret" condenser microphones.

StanHood
24-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Many thanks godfather, I thought I was the only one left who understood that the differences between microphones are major ones. After surfing the web, I can confirm that the best microphone type for sound cards appears to be a wellkept secret in the business. How did you find out what you told me?

I had tried a low impedance dynamic mic (bought from a computer shop some years ago!). The fact that it sounded weak and bassy (muffled) told me that the sound card needed more signal voltage than a low impedance dynamic microphone can provide, and also that the sound card did not provide the correct impedance for this type of microphone. I had contemplated trying out a high impedance dynamic mic. (internal transformer) for stronger and clearer sound until your response.

Dynamic mics also have a problem close to CRT computer screens, they pick up buzz.

I will try audiograbber. I went surfing yesterday and downloaded another freeby called freecorder. The free version allows up to a half hour of recording in MP3. Website is probably www dot freecorder dot com from memory.

Thanks again

Stan

godfather
25-01-2005, 08:59 AM
In my past I was fully trade qualified in such matters, so it was "formal learning" to know and understand the difference in microphones.

Dissapointing to see a major chain selling "computer headsets" that had dynamic microphones built in, and would not work well in most PC's. A careful explanation to store staff had no effect whatever, they are still for sale.

StanHood
25-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Yeah, my careful explanations usually end up with blank stares from the shop staff. But I am polite always because while they might be untrained formally in the electronic hardware department, I am very dumb indeed in those murky waters where hardware meets software and nothing is what it appears to be.

I have not got myself a good mic. as yet for my sound card, but I will. I also discovered by experimentation something else. Recording and playing back my sound files using the sound card always had a steady hiss in my earphones. But when I burned the file to CD and played it on my home stereo - no hiss! So I am guessing that the hiss is created only in the playback part of my sound card which of course I don't care about because I want to burn my files to CD for playing elsewhere.

Cheers.