PDA

View Full Version : Speech recognition

taly
22-01-2005, 06:02 AM
Hi there!

Is anyone in this fraternity or known to you using Speech recognition? I mean in everyday way.

Speedy Gonzales
22-01-2005, 09:53 AM
I've got speech recognition installed (as part of office xp, and opera), but havent got a mic. So, cant use it till I get a mic.

godfather
22-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Tried it, gave up on it. Error correction time exceeded even my humble typing speed.

It's still a "work in progress" technology really.

That's why good typists are still in demand.

sambaird
22-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Tried it, gave up on it. Error correction time exceeded even my humble typing speed.

i agree none of them work any good for me

theother1
22-01-2005, 12:00 PM
I have a lawyer friend who uses it for typing letters with a correct spelling rate of between 96-98%. He swears by it and can dictate letters at normal talking speed or faster. It took him a day to get the thing running to a level where he could use it for work and there is an ongoing teaching period as the software recognises new words, (kaiapoi, kaikoura etc) English words, of course, are the ones which give most problems. But the same applies in this forum. I will find out the name of it and post back if you are interested.

Shortcircuit
22-01-2005, 12:39 PM
I've just tried the latest Dragon prog after trying it a few years ago... no better now than it was before for me. Lots of niggling things about it, set-up errors, tool bar takes over the desktop etc, steep learning curve for the recognition part etc.

You also need plenty of ram, a good soundcard, good mic and a 'fast' comp or it grinds to a halt.

However one of our staff managed to get it going and after 2 months using it pretty non-stop has got it tamed... you just need plenty of perserverance I think.

taly
22-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi there!
I am trying it only for a month and already prefer it to typing. So I am optimistic. Don't mind fiddling. I was happy to learn that there are others. Would like to know what software and hardware they using. Mine is museum, but going to upgrade.
I have PC Pent2, 450MHz, RAM 192MB, XPhome and Word 2003. Mice Cosonic headphone CD-760M, Sound card Creative Sound Blaster 16.

Chiers.

Poppa John
22-01-2005, 04:32 PM
I have a lawyer friend who uses it for typing letters with a correct spelling rate of between 96-98%. He swears by it and can dictate letters at normal talking speed or faster. It took him a day to get the thing running to a level where he could use it for work and there is an ongoing teaching period as the software recognises new words, (kaiapoi, kaikoura etc) English words, of course, are the ones which give most problems. But the same applies in this forum. I will find out the name of it and post back if you are interested.

theother. I woild be interested in the name of it Thanks. PJ

Poppa John
22-01-2005, 04:33 PM

gf. What was the name of your programme? PJ

Poppa John
22-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Hi there!
I am trying it only for a month and already prefer it to typing. So I am optimistic. Don't mind fiddling. I was happy to learn that there are others. Would like to know what software and hardware they using. Mine is museum, but going to upgrade.
I have PC Pent2, 450MHz, RAM 192MB, XPhome and Word 2003. Mice Cosonic headphone CD-760M, Sound card Creative Sound Blaster 16.

Chiers.

taly, What speech programme are you using? PJ

Cicero
22-01-2005, 05:12 PM
I see the professional copy is about $1200.

http://www.lingualearn.co.uk/learners/adpages/dragon.htm

taly
22-01-2005, 07:55 PM
taly, What speech programme are you using? PJ
I am using Speech recognition engine 6.1 that comes with Microsoft Word 2003. I get 20 words per minute after all corrections, that is much more then I can do manually. Hope to improve it with upgrade. Someone mentioned professional copy for $1200. Copy of what, DNS? (Dragon?)

Cicero
22-01-2005, 11:53 PM
I am using Speech recognition engine 6.1 that comes with Microsoft Word 2003. I get 20 words per minute after all corrections, that is much more then I can do manually. Hope to improve it with upgrade. Someone mentioned professional copy for $1200. Copy of what, DNS? (Dragon?)
Click on URL and see prices for Dragon.

theother1
23-01-2005, 12:16 AM
theother. I woild be interested in the name of it Thanks. PJ

Dragon. Don't know what version but I know he will be running fairly high spec computers so the earlier comment about speed is possibly accurate.
I haven't tried it myself but if I ever feel the need to, that is what I would use.

godfather
23-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Perhaps it is worth it to better 20 words a minute, but even my "hunt and peck" style of typing returns ~ 40 words a minute.

SR simply could not compete for me, as correction time was excessive. For long typing tasks I get it done by my "secretary" at about 100 wpm.

I have tried Dragon and MS Office versions.

The very slow speed is the reason you do not see this technology flourishing. Yet.

Strommer
23-01-2005, 10:51 AM
For good results, it is very important to get a high quality noise cancelling microphone.

taly
23-01-2005, 10:59 AM
100 wpm it is awsome!

I assume that your pc has those 1GB RAM and Pent4 CPU.
My next PC, that I am assembling, will be Athlon 1200 on a motherboard for FSB 276Mhz. It might be an equivalent of Pent 3?

I won't go to learn proper hand typing. Too old for that, perhaps. Or had bad memories taking piano lessons with those finger numberings when being a kid. Think it is sort of children abuse.

Regards

godfather
23-01-2005, 11:23 AM
The 100 wpm is a professional typist, not SR.

Yes my PC is a P4 with 1 GB of RAM. To me, and based on my experience, the extra time that SR takes to train would be better spent on typing training, the outcome would be better.

Give the technology a few years and it will get there.

One of the major drawbacks is getting high quality audio into the system. Due to the nature of the electronics in a PC, interference levels are very high, and any interference on the microphone will translate to poor SR.

Cicero
23-01-2005, 12:59 PM
The 100 wpm is a professional typist, not SR.

Yes my PC is a P4 with 1 GB of RAM. To me, and based on my experience, the extra time that SR takes to train would be better spent on typing training, the outcome would be better.

Give the technology a few years and it will get there.

One of the major drawbacks is getting high quality audio into the system. Due to the nature of the electronics in a PC, interference levels are very high, and any interference on the microphone will translate to poor SR.
I remain surprised that WR is not further ahead,as with virtual reality.Some things seem to be in the doldrums.
Starship Enterprise seemed much further ahead and that was years ago!

Speedy Gonzales
23-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Only thing is, with one of Dragons programs it isnt compatible with XP SP2.

Until they bring out an update.It'll only work if u uninstall SP2.