PDA

View Full Version : Dual booting 98 & 98SE

Edward
21-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Hi everyone. I'm having a few problems getting the old computer set up. What I'm tyring to do is get the old computer running with 98. And 98. I plan to get 98 running for my siblings to run their multiplayer games up and running, while having 98SE for me for internet and testing etc. Except that when I boot up it loads straight into 98SE, no bootloader. I'd installed 98, then within that used partition magic to resize the initial partition and made a logical partition to install 98SE onto. I would make another primary partition, but it won't let me. It's an MSDN CD, so the 98 install files are in /win98/setup whereas the 98se are in /win98_se/setup. Therefore, when it asks for the 98 CD, it can't find it (Must copy the contents to the HD). Which raises another issue, it can only see 8GB out of 40GB- no good as a file server.

Please help, I'm about ready to throw the thing out the window :dogeye:

Thanks, Edward

PaulD
21-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Try something like XOSL as a bootmanager.

Prescott
21-01-2005, 10:05 PM
how much of a difference is there between 98SE and just 98? can you just use 98SE?

merlin
21-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Won't work unless two primary partitions are created and when each is accessed, the other is hidden.

RTFM - specifically the second section of the Frequently Asked Question 44 accessable above. Read the section about creating and booting to multiple primary partitions.

Install Windows 98 on one primary partition and Windows 98SE on the second.

Windows 98 will not co-exist with Windows 98SE.

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
- Will Rogers