PDA

View Full Version : FC3 w/ KDE 3.3 questions...

HadO
21-01-2005, 06:07 PM
OK so I took the plunge and installed FC3 along side XP SP2 on the laptop - it took about 24hrs to download :)

A few questions though...

1. I had a look at a Knoppix KDE 3.3 live CD and the KDE theme on that is impressive and looks a lot better than my current theme > is it possible to get that some how? It's sort of a "cool blue transparent" one...

2. In Evolution the "new email sound" does not seem to work... I have tried WAV and OGG sounds...

3. Firefox HTML rendering looks very rough (images and text looks pixelated) - any ideas?

4. Under root account it says I have over 150 updates available - should I download these? Is it worth it?

Any comments appreciated.

Chilling_Silence
21-01-2005, 06:16 PM
1. run kcontrol and play around in there - You can them until your hearts content!

2. Err.... pass for now

3. Turn on anti-aliasing, or grab one of the official builds from the Mozilla site. Ive always found it best to compile it yourself or use the official one. Otherwise type about:config in the Addy bar and search for "font"

4. If you've got the bandwidth, yes :)

Jen
21-01-2005, 06:25 PM
1. I had a look at a Knoppix KDE 3.3 live CD and the KDE theme on that is impressive and looks a lot better than my current theme > is it possible to get that some how? It's sort of a "cool blue transparent" one...Not sure what the Knoppix theme is, but have a look under KMenu > Control Centre > Appearance &Themes, and have a good fiddle around with the style, window decorations, colour, icons etc until you have something that appeals to you.

2. In Evolution the "new email sound" does not seem to work... I have tried WAV and OGG sounds...Do you have any sound working on the box? In Evolution Tools > Settings > Mail Preferences use the "Play sound when message arrives" setting and browse to /usr/share/sounds/email.wav. See if this helps.

3. Firefox HTML rendering looks very rough (images and text looks pixelated) - any ideas?It should just out of the box render the fonts smooth. Have a look under the KDE Control Centre > Fonts and make sure "use anti-aliasing for fonts" is selected.

4. Under root account it says I have over 150 updates available - should I download these? Is it worth it?You can download these, but lots will be for application upgrades rather than system patches. If you run as a user ALT-F2 and then enter in up2date, you will then be prompted for the roots password to complete the up2date process - you do not need to log into a root desktop to do this. Take a look what is listed and pick and choose from the descriptions given.

Any comments appreciatedYeah, good on you for giving Linux a go! :D

Some handy links that are worth checking out:

Really good guide to putting the polishing touches on your FC3 destop installation (http://fedoranews.org/contributors/stanton_finley/fc3_note/)

Fedora NEWS (http://fedoranews.org/) - absolutely fabulous how-to's and other tips can be found here in easy to understand guides. Worth having a good look at. :)

KDE Look (http://www.kde-look.org/) - you will find wallpapers, fonts, icons basically anything for KDE. Instructions are given for installing them so have a good play. :thumbs:

HadO
21-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the info Linux ppl! :)

In response:

Yes I have all the appropriate options for font smoothing (AA) ticked... the only app that looks like sh*t is Firefox - I might download Opera as it is my browser of choice and see if there is any difference...

Yes I have sound running after playing with AUMIX? and KMIX? and the options for getting Evolution to play a sound is ticked but still no joy...

The theme I have in place at the moment is very sexy so I think I will just stick with it - it definately looks a lot better than XP :)

Coming from a pure M$ DOS 5-7 and Windows (all flavours) background the filesystem is a little overwhelming to come to grips with atm :) and getting my head around all the commands for the terminal window will be fun :)

The reason for me trying out linux on the laptop is that it is purely a email/www/downloading machine and it unfortunately wont be going anywhere near the desktop because of it's lack of DirectX capability - still - give it time I guess :)

Thanks again - I'm sure there will be many more questions from me in the future :P

HadO
22-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Hmm...

Well I have installed (it took a while) Thunderbird and much to my amazement the "new email sound" still does not work!

Any ideas?

:badpc: :lol:

Kame
22-01-2005, 11:59 PM
I wonder whether it's file permission, it might be set up for root only to execute those files. That's probably the case, in fact, I've not tested the sound out in my email (usually because I turn all sound alerts off).

Give me half a tick and I'll just switch over to Fedora and see if I can sort it.

Knoppix 3.3, I can't remember the theme we're now upto 3.7 I believe and even that has changed considerably but of course you can have the same theme :P, I'll see if I can find some old archive screenies of it.

My email client is evolution, I don't think I saw any point in switching as did all that I wanted from an email client.

I don't use up2date, I prefer yum and all the repositories that are now mirrored at jetstreamgames, although I've been asking now for K3B repository mirror, I bugged them about the repositories, I don't know if they like me that much :P. There are some kernel upgrades in that as well as a few security/bug fixes.

I've not had problems with Firefox's view, care to give a screenshot of it?

Kame

Kame
23-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Tough indeed,

I don't have a blocky effect with Firefox, try another browser like konqueror or mozilla. It's quite possible the pitch of your monitor, the dpi used is usually system settings, but it might not be perfect, Firefox does have the ability to change this, by measuring a line on the screen and inputting the length of it. Found in Edit, Preference, Fonts & Color.

Themes would be changed by any of the tools provided in the Applications | Preferences menu.

Unfortunately sounds went flawless, did you make sure the sound server had started?

Kame

HadO
23-01-2005, 12:55 PM
OK well still no luck with the blocky effect - things look a little better with Konquerer but I will probably try with Opera at a later date - It makes me think that the problem is with my monitor setup - it is just a std laptop LCD - 1024x768 @ 70Hz - where would I find the dpi setting for the monitor under KDE? Should I try using Gnome and see if there is any difference?

The new email sound still wont work but continuously clicking the preview button does result in hearing a few ms of the sound - I have tried using a startup sound in it's place but I don't hear anything with that one...

I have sounds for everything else and can play the sounds using an app with either root or normal user permission. I have tried fiddling with the sound priority and buffer size but no luck there - not a big deal - just an annoyance really. :)

Another question though - I managed to rename my hostname with the "hostname" command under a terminal window and it remains until I reboot - how can I permanently change the hostname? Does this have to be done with the SAMBA config file? I also edited the host file with new names for localhost and my inet gateway - these are being utilised if I use the lookup command eg."net lookup Gateway"

Thanks

Jen
23-01-2005, 09:58 PM
OK well still no luck with the blocky effect - things look a little better with Konquerer but I will probably try with Opera at a later date - It makes me think that the problem is with my monitor setup - it is just a std laptop LCD - 1024x768 @ 70Hz - where would I find the dpi setting for the monitor under KDE? Should I try using Gnome and see if there is any difference?To find what you have your dpi on currently, run this from a terminal window:

xdpyinfo | grep resolution

Make sure you have your monitor configured correctly by running ALT-F2 system-config-display. Next have a good read of this (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=257705&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) particularly the part about editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf for dpi and the maths involved.

The new email sound still wont work but continuously clicking the preview button does result in hearing a few ms of the sound - I have tried using a startup sound in it's place but I don't hear anything with that one...Strange, that one ...

Another question though - I managed to rename my hostname with the "hostname" command under a terminal window and it remains until I reboot - how can I permanently change the hostname?Run system-config-network, click on Hosts and then Edit. Change your hostname here.

HadO
23-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the info Jen...

I had a look at that site - very informative but a little too much work at this stage. I'm actually planning on removing my XP partition some time in the future and reinstalling Linux to have free reign on my entire laptop HDD :) so I will tackle the font issue then - the screenshots look delicious though! :)

My desktop is down at the moment (another dead processor - not my fault!) - I will be waiting until that is back up so I can play with a Linux <> Win2000 LAN environment.