PDA

View Full Version : Asus or Dell? for new Laptop

loosedougie
21-01-2005, 02:46 PM
My partner is looking for a laptop that will do all the things that she wants, you know word,e-mail,internet and spider solitaire. I've put my foot down and said NO. We need something with some grunt as I like to play games on my desktop pc(solitaire doesn't cut it for me). We are going over to Europe in March and want something before then peferably with a international warranty.
Asus has a two year international warranty,but I think I get more for my buck from Dell.But I have been told that you can only use Dell parts to expand or replace.
I know I need a separate graphics card, but what is better? and Dse told me that a card with shared memory will perform as well a a card with dedicated memory as long as the system has enough ram.
I'm looking to spend about $3000, and a centrino as the battery life is longer for any flights we are on.

the highlander
21-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Asus, dell may offer more for the same price but asus build quality gear.
Dedicated video ram is always superior to shared ram. The salesperson was doing what he's trained to --- sell.
I would imagine that asus is propriatry parts orientated in laptops as well (the nature of the beasts) so that shouldn't be an issue in your choice

FoxyMX
21-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Where has Metla's reply gone?? :eek: :confused:

Metla
21-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Where has it gone?

Well....Its right where i left it, In the identical thread that was made in the off topic forum.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=53560

For those that missed it...

What you need to do is go out into the backyard,select a nice strong stick,return to Dick Smith,Poke the salesman in the eye with it,Then use it to crack him over the head.

I would burst a vein if a salesman gave me such bad advice in relation to a $3000 purchase.

the highlander
21-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Where has Metla's reply gone?? :eek: :confused:
Gone to chat f1

FoxyMX
21-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Ah... didn't realise there were two threads on the same topic even though I did a search under Metla's username and found the other one. :rolleyes:

Thought it might have been deleted for a moment... :illogical

Gave me a good laugh for Friday afternoon, anyway. :D