PDA

View Full Version : Processor upgrade

rny
21-01-2005, 02:17 PM
A work colleague has suggested that I could improve the performance of my Win ME, 256 RAM, AMD K6 2/300 processor PC, by replacing the 2/300 with a 2/550 processor. He says that it will drop right in with no worries. Any comments would be appreciated.
RNY.

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2005, 02:30 PM
You can go to the motherboard maker's site and get the manual or look on the site. See what the motherboard can go up to, for the CPU.

If it can go to 500 or up it should be fine.

robsonde
21-01-2005, 02:48 PM
with out taking the piss........

the best way to make windows ME go faster is to chuck it off a high building :-)

yes a faster CPU would be good and most systems that can run a K6 2/300 can also run up to a K6 2/500.

still check you motherboard book.

whetu
21-01-2005, 03:13 PM
A work colleague has suggested that I could improve the performance of my Win ME, 256 RAM, AMD K6 2/300 processor PC, by replacing the 2/300 with a 2/550 processor. He says that it will drop right in with no worries. Any comments would be appreciated.
RNY.

Provided the motherboard supports the 550, you should see some performance increase. Further (and more noticeable) increases can be had by adding more ram and having a faster HDD (I assume you've got a 5400rpm HDD common to that era of pc hardware)

And consider moving to XP

rny
21-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks folks for your replies. Yea, I know ME has its faults, but it does all we need it to do, all be it more than a bit slow at times, (ok, most of the time). I have been unable to find any info on my motherboard, control panel/system only shows manufacturer as "standard system devices". No model or serial number etc. The reason for my query is, could I expect any problems by changing the processor over eg; any special precautions needed etc. I have been advised the cost is only around NZ $20 or so, so if it does not work, back to square one. I do not intend doing the work myself, but will leave to someone who knows what they are doing.
RNY.

Terry Porritt
21-01-2005, 03:52 PM
You really do need to find out what your motherboard is, either by taking the case off and seeing if the details are on the board, or by means of a utility like Aida16, or Everest etc.

Not all boards that would take an AMD K6-2/300 would go up to 500 or 550 MHz, for example my old AI5VG+ would only go up to 450MHz. The other thing is that core voltages changed. For the 300Mhz, core voltage and supply vlotage was 3.3volt, whereas the 450MHz was dual voltage, 3.3/2.4 volts.

Then getting hold of a K6-2/550 may be difficult, it be second hand.

Prescott
21-01-2005, 06:36 PM
everest found here (http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3). trademe has those older cpus for sale, usually very cheap.

wouldnt xp be a bit of an over kill for this pc?, i know that it will run it, but maybe win 2000 might be a bit better

rny
22-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks Prescott, I have downloaded Everest. Looks like a great little programme. Told me a lot about my pc I didnt know. MoBo info is all there so have e mailed manufactuer with my query. Thanks again for all your replies.
rny

tweak'e
22-01-2005, 05:40 PM
don't hold your breath waiting for a reply ;-)

also the last time i emailed a company about processor support they said it would work but it didn't (required bios upgrade which they wouldn't do) so i ended up having to buy a new mobo for the new cpu.

it might be far quicker to look up their site and check for yourself.

HadO
22-01-2005, 06:11 PM
wouldnt xp be a bit of an over kill for this pc?, i know that it will run it, but maybe win 2000 might be a bit better

I don't think the speed difference in 2000 compared with XP would be highlighted on this system...

Do yourself a favour and "downgrade" LOL :) to Win 98SE :)