PDA

View Full Version : Paradise email down!

chuckee
21-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Paradise's email has been down for me for the past 13 hours. This is a huge problem for me, as I can't conduct any business while it is down. It really does not help that their 'help desk', or rather, call centre, is located in a different city from their servers (according to them).
Does anyone have this same problem? Paradise have confirmed that no email in my account has been able to be delivered since 11pm last night, with absolutely no sort of ETA on when the problem will be fixed.
Is there some sort of place where I can complain about this (other than to TelstraClear who I am sure would ignore me?) I really get annoyed when all you get from ringing these companies is a call centre who can only help with the most basic of problems.

pixeldust
21-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Mine is fine. Can you access your webmail?

chuckee
21-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Apparently it is only affecting some of the customers...
I can login fine to my email, both in Outlook, and in Webmail. The problem is that no messages are getting delivered.

ninja
21-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Here's why:

root@tamas:~$ dig @ns1.paradise.net.nz paradise.net.nz mx

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @ns1.paradise.net.nz paradise.net.nz mx
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 45278
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;paradise.net.nz. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
paradise.net.nz. 1800 IN MX 20 smtp.paradise.net.nz.
paradise.net.nz. 1800 IN MX 10 pop3.paradise.net.nz.

Paradise report two mail exchangers, the one with the first priority (10) is the one named pop3.paradise.net.nz.

It is not responding:

root@tamas:~$ telnet pop3.paradise.net.nz 25
Trying 203.96.152.6...

However smtp.paradise.net.nz their second mail server is responding:

root@tamas:~$ telnet smtp.paradise.net.nz 25
Trying 203.96.152.32...
Connected to smtp.paradise.net.nz.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtp-2.paradise.net.nz ESMTP Postfix

Unfortunately pop3.paradise.net.nz isn't actually refusing the SMTP connection, so it doesn't fail over immediately to the secondary server, instead it is taking a long time to timeout. Thus mail from other ISP's will be queueing up waiting to connect to pop3.paradise.net.nz - there will be significant waits while the messages fail through to smtp.paradise.net.nz.

chuckee
21-01-2005, 01:02 PM
I thought smtp servers were only used to send email and not receive them?

ninja
21-01-2005, 02:05 PM
I thought smtp servers were only used to send email and not receive them?SMTP servers exchange e-mail. So Xtra's SMTP server talk's to Paradise's SMTP server when an Xtra customer wants to send mail to a Paradise customer.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/email5.htm

Ninjabear
21-01-2005, 02:09 PM
No wonder why I haven't been receiving any emails today.Its because of paradise.I should've received an email from trademe saying that they have credit my account and a question on my trademe listing but no emails!

ninja
21-01-2005, 02:14 PM
root@tamas:~$ telnet pop3.paradise.net.nz 25
Trying 203.96.152.6...
Connected to pop3.paradise.net.nz.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 pop3-2.paradise.net.nz ESMTP

It's back up now, it'll no doubt take a while for the queue to get worked through.

[/quote]
22-01-2005, 12:06 AM
Anywho - seems a security issue is the problem at Paradise:
http://www2.paradise.net.nz/security_update/news.html

Security issue - email and web hosting

A small number of Paradise.net customers may have have experienced email delays and web-hosting problems on Thursday January 20th and Friday January 21st.

Early Thursday morning some Paradise email was delayed. Our security people detected a security threat and disconnected a server to preserve the integrity of Paradise.net.

This server will be reconnected shortly and backlogged email should be delivered this afternoon (Friday January 21).

As part of our security precautions we also disconnected hardware which hosts Paradise web pages. We have been working round the clock to ensure the hardware can be reconnected with no risk to Paradise.net or Paradise users. We expect to restore web pages this evening.

We know that an external party has attempted to interfere with Paradise.net. This attempt was picked up and immediate steps were taken to avoid any further impact on Paradise.net customers.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience these very necessary steps have caused. Our approach, as always, is to take firm steps to preserve the security of Paradise.net and protect our customers.

the team at Paradise.net

chuckee
22-01-2005, 12:19 AM
I don't know about everyone else but I'm still waiting for most of my email to come through now, even.
I'd like to know exactly what percentage of customers were affected - why do I always seem to be in the 'small number'?

ninja
22-01-2005, 12:40 AM
I don't know about everyone else but I'm still waiting for most of my email to come through now, even.
I'd like to know exactly what percentage of customers were affected - why do I always seem to be in the 'small number'?
Their primary mail server was not accepting mail, their fail over to secondary wasn't happening it seemed due to the actual primary machine being reachable, just not for mail purposes.

This would affect _all_ customers with a Paradsie address. It's certainly affected me.

Ninjabear
22-01-2005, 12:42 AM
Im affected.I've received some of the emails but not all.

Like auction ended 3:30pm today.Never received an email coming thru to my email yet but

An question was asked at 2:50pm.I received that.

My dad sent me an email at 5pm.I got that also

Seem to be receiving random emails and time doesnt seem to affect the order in which they arrive

sambaird
22-01-2005, 11:08 AM
has anyones paradise dile up been taking longet to connect
or ius it just me

smithie 38
22-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Hi Sam
My dial up is connecting okay, but I am still waiting for emails sent last night between 7.00 and 8.00pm to come in. :annoyed:
Smithie

Big John
22-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Their primary mail server was not accepting mail, their fail over to secondary wasn't happening it seemed due to the actual primary machine being reachable, just not for mail purposes.

This would affect _all_ customers with a Paradsie address. It's certainly affected me.

Has not affected me. All mail coming through as expected. Spam, Tests, e-mails from others outside paradise, the works.