PDA

View Full Version : How to remove old hard drive?

nzsp
20-01-2005, 08:33 PM
I am trying to figure out to remove an old hard drive I have on my PC. I installed a new 40 GB Seagate hard drive a couple of years ago using their DiskWizard utility. I can't remember exactly what I did but I remember picking the "easy" option. I was a bit less PC-literate then.

Anyway, now I have the old 5GB drive and the new 40GB drives installed. In the BIOS I see the old drive as Primary Master and the new drive as Primary slave.

In Windows XP my C: drive is labelled "DISK2_VOL1" and listed as 40GB capacity. The old 5GB is invisible in Windows.

Is the old drive actually being used for anything? What do I need to do to be able to remove the old drive? Is it just a matter of removing the old drive and setting the jumpers on the new drive to master?

Any tips appreciated, cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Just remove the old hdd if u dont need it / require it. Disconnect the power from the old hdd, and disconnect it from the 40gb's ide connection.

Pull it out of the case. Thats it. You can have the 5gb as a slave, if u want to keep it, just go into the BIOS and set primary slave on auto.

And put the old hdd 's jumper to slave.

Is XP on the 40GB now?? Change the 40gb's jumper to master and the 5gb to slave, if XP is now on the 40gb.

Prescott
20-01-2005, 08:53 PM
dont forget to turn your pc off before you take the hard drive out :p