PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Problem Solved

Winston001
20-01-2005, 01:25 PM
I have an HP NX9005 with XP Pro SP2.

For some time I've been having a problem with the processor running at 100% and the fan blowing as fast as it can. Windows would'nt close down so I had to force it. I posted on this a few months ago.

Initially HP replaced the hard drive under warranty. But after about 5 weeks the problem returned. I scanned for viruses, killed spyware with abandon (nothing there anyway) ran diagnostics. I also searched this forum and the net for clues.

Ultimately I took it to my IT guys who reinstalled Windows. Fine. I then installed programs very slowly, allowing a week between each to see if a conflict occurred.

But 5 weeks or so later same problem reoccurred. This time the IT guy updated the BIOS and bingo - problem solved. Well, I hope so anyway.

Anyway the point is simply to relate the problems I had which seemed unsolvable. It might help someone else.

Graham L
20-01-2005, 01:39 PM
At last. Someone has loaded an updated BIOS and it fixed a problem.

More usually, we see the unhappiness of someone who has "flashed the BIOS", and something has gone wrong.

I shudder when someone blithely recommends this -- especially when there is no possible reason to believe that the BIOS has anything to do with a problem. It's not something you do just to be sure you have the "latest" version.

New versions are released if a problem is known to occur. They should only be installed if the actual problem fixed actually occurs on the particular machine.

Bad Things Happen.

~sy~
20-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Good to hear it's all ok now :D