PDA

View Full Version : Service Pack 2

Growly
20-01-2005, 11:28 AM
I need a decision made for me - before the forum software changeover there was a sticky thread with people's experiences with Windows XP Service Pack 2 - unfortunately it became so clouded with mixed opinions that I was unable to determine what the general concensus was with regards to whether one should install it or not.

Every home PC with SP2 I have seen has been a pain to work with - but at work all the PCs have SP2 installed and work perfectly.

So here it is, a poll, Service Pack 2 or not?

bob_doe_nz
20-01-2005, 12:06 PM
DUH of course get SP2.

Make sure you create an integrated Win XP SP2 and the clean off the extra crap with NLite.
I managed to save up about 200 megabytes and lose a few extra bloated programs of my standard installation :thumbs:

~sy~
20-01-2005, 02:04 PM
I've heard some people that it may be a good idea to ghost your system before XP in case something horrible goes wrong.

the highlander
20-01-2005, 03:07 PM
I've done about 20-25 sp2 installs, some on existing os and some on fresh installs and not one has gone b@lls up. All stable and bugger all difference in speed. The only annoyance is the security console which is a pain.

Chilling_Silence
20-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Im with the Highlander... No issues here :)

Robby
20-01-2005, 04:39 PM
gidday,

It's probably better installed than not, even though it made a real mess
of my computer, and I'm still having issues.

If you own a HP computer, check the HP web site before installing sp2,
because there are patches, that should be installed, before sp2.

good luck,

Robby

Prescott
20-01-2005, 05:45 PM
i havent got sp2 installed, and i dont see the need actually. my pc is running fine and i havent had any viruses at all. As long as you have the latest patches and updated firewall and antivirus you should be fine :)

agent
20-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Service Pack 2 is technically one of the latest patches, Prescott.

I don't install any patches at all and I'm fine - just using an old version of Kerio Personal Firewall and avast! Antivirus.

KiwiLinc
20-01-2005, 06:34 PM
I installed SP2 on a mates brand new Acer & it almost ground to a halt. The service tech removed SP2 along with Firefox & Thunderbird, claiming they all were to blame. I think he's a twit. :confused: I've had no trouble at all with any of them.
My pc is a clone made of bits etc, maybe its an issue with the big guys?

Terry Porritt
20-01-2005, 07:01 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/

These are two MS pages about SP2 via the Windows Update.

Eventually without SP2 there wont be any more update patches, at least that's what I infer.

I got the impression from the experiences thread and other places that some troubles have been caused by systems not being A1 before installing SP2. A Prescot cpu system definitely needs to be patched first, so I've read.

It would certainly make sense to clean out junk, clean registry, maybe uninstall AV, scandisk and defragbefore hand, and make a complete clone or image,for just in case :2cents:

Alternatively if one is going to do a clean install, then a slipstreamed XP+SP2 would be a good idea. I've done both with no problems at all.

rodb
20-01-2005, 09:28 PM
I have installed SP2 on 6 desktops and one laptop without any hassles whatever. I used the disk which came with PC World some time ago.
I would say however, that all the computers had been updated and patched regularly from Windows Update - there could well be problems if the OS had not been properly maintained beforehand.

supergran
20-01-2005, 10:22 PM
I haven't installed it, and I have got other patches since I refused to instal SP2. I have also fixed 2 computers whose printers didn't print after SP2 was installed. So for me, I just couldn't be bothered upsetting what wasn't broke. I use firewall, av, spyware, etc, firefox, and thunderbird, very rarely do I ever use IE, so thought I would just leave mine as it is, as so far, touch wood, I haven't had any problems.

Trebby
20-01-2005, 11:10 PM
:thumbs: Best thing I've done, no problems at all ..

Agent_24
20-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Sp2 is Ok, but I didn't like the Sp2 bootscreen so I modded the ntoskernel.exe back to the normal XP bootscreen.

(It's actually quite easy, shame about the limited palette)

Vince
21-01-2005, 02:42 AM
My computer went funny about 2 days after installing SP2, but sorted itself out within a couple of days. I'm pretty sure that nothing I did was responsible.
Vince

astikali
21-01-2005, 06:20 AM
My computer crashed and when we reinstalled stuff, the tech said to add SP2 to a clean installation before adding programs. We did and the computer just acted funny. We did updates, restarts, and nothing helped. We then tried through Install/Uninstall to remove it and it blue screened my puter and dumped everything. I'm not going to reinstall it since I use a anti'virus and firewall and have had no problems.

Cicero
21-01-2005, 07:15 AM
My computer and I are not into humour at these times,so there was no acting funny for us and all is well since SP2 was installed. :D

personthingy
21-01-2005, 09:12 AM
I Couldn't resist the wild-card vote!
"I hate Microsoft and have decided to contribute meaninglessly because I'm bored"

Fact of the matter is that i'm d/loading SP2 for a friend today.
M$ systems aren't my preference, but SP2 seems a good idea for those that use M$.

:D

John H
21-01-2005, 09:17 AM
I have installed SP2 on four computers, all of which had SP1 already installed, and have had no problems at all. Three were XP Pro, one was XP Home.