PDA

View Full Version : IBM As-500 and UPS

JJJJJ
20-01-2005, 07:35 AM
My wife has to replace the battery in her UPS and she tells me that to do it she has to turn off the computer. That is 45 minutes to shut down and an hour at least to power up again.
I reckon there must be some way of replacing the battery without shutting down. She says "if there was anyway of doing it my way she would do it.And I don't know what I'm talking about"

Anyone had any dealings with such a set up?

Jack :illogical

godfather
20-01-2005, 08:48 AM
The UPS on this type of system would probably be of the "on-line" type, where the supply is drawn continually from the inverter, and the battery is continually on charge. In other words its possibly not of the "change-over" or micro-break type that has a few milliseconds "break" in the supply as it changes over, as most cheap UPS do.

That being the case there is no way to continue the outgoing supply when there is no battery as disconnecting the battery will instantly cut the output.

If it is of the micro-break type, then the other issue is that the battery circuit is often at full mains potential, and presents a hazard to safety to work on it while the unit is operating.

JJJJJ
20-01-2005, 09:03 AM
Thanks Godfather. Yes it is an on line system. I just thought There MUST be some way of doing a quick change.
Looks like I'm wrong again.
Jack

Graham L
20-01-2005, 01:53 PM
But what's this 45 minutes to shut down, and an hour to start up? Is your Windows in such bad shape? :)

If you mean she is intending to unplug the UPS power cord, then wait until the battery goes flat, that shouldn't be needed.

Shut down the computer.

Unplug the UPS from the mains. It ought to have an on/off switch (which might be hidden at the back). Turn that off.

Open it, change the battery.

Put it back together, plug it in, turn it on, and start the computer.

The new gel battery should be fully charged. That's how they are shipped.

I can't see any problems.

JJJJJ
20-01-2005, 02:15 PM
But what's this 45 minutes to shut down, and an hour to start up? Is your Windows in such bad shape? :)

I can't see any problems.

Firstly it is nor running windows. It runs modified UNIX.
Secondly the battery is not flat . It has died of old age.
Thirdly disconnecting the battery will kill the computer. Then it will take about two days to come back to life.
Fourthly an As-500 is not a PC.
Jack :thumbs:

whetu
20-01-2005, 02:26 PM
the question has to be asked:
What are you doing with an AS500?

Or is this a case of: wife's work has an as500, they've put up a change control/outage notice, she was musing about it and you couldnt accept such an outage so needed pressf1 to confirm/deny it?

(how close was I?)

theother1
20-01-2005, 10:57 PM
The question has to be asked. What is an AS500?
I googled ot and the only things it found were monitors.:confused:

Metla
20-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Just a crappy old server.....

Billy T
20-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Secondly the battery is not flat . It has died of old age.
Jack :thumbs:

If the battery has died then the computer must be running on mains power. If that is the case, it is probably not a "full time on line" UPS because if it was, when the battery died the computer would have died with it. Alternatively, the computer may be running off the battery charger, so if you can verify that Jack, it may well be possible to change the battery without turning off the computer.

I see no reason why the battery should be at mains potential, the charger has no need to float at mains voltage so the risk of shock is minimal

Two questions come to mind:

1) How do you know the battery is dead?

2) What is the make and model of the UPS?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

JJJJJ
21-01-2005, 05:21 AM
Two questions come to mind:

1) How do you know the battery is dead?

2) What is the make and model of the UPS?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

1) my wife told me. It's over 5 years old so she's probably right.

2) I don't know. She says it's IBM. But I doubt it. It was bought from IBM.

Anyway it was all done by 7pm last night.

Jack

JJJJJ
21-01-2005, 05:26 AM
The question has to be asked. What is an AS500?
I googled ot and the only things it found were monitors.:confused:

It's a very popular SERVER. Made by IBM for medium to large size business.
About $30,000 worth. Runs proprietry O/S . and custom built software.

Jack

godfather
21-01-2005, 08:22 AM
I see no reason why the battery should be at mains potential, the charger has no need to float at mains voltage so the risk of shock is minimal

Billy 8-{)

The comment was aimed at the possibility that it was a "micro-break" UPS.

The majority of the cheaper types are non-isolated and the battery is actually at mains potential.

It makes one cringe when you see them modified for an external battery.