PDA

View Full Version : Movie Software

berryb
19-01-2005, 11:20 PM
I am looking for suggestions for PC Movie/Video software that can be used by absolute beginners to advanced users. I am looking on behalf of my local school so users could be from 5years (with help) to 12years. Price is always an issue but are more interested in what features are available, user friendliness and integration into our network for a start. Links to trial software would be great but any help at the moment would be good. School has no Macs so donít suggest that. Looking solely for PC software at the present. Cheers

Rob99
19-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Windows XP has Windows Movie Maker

Metla
19-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Using XP?

Then it comes with Windows Movie Maker, Excellent little app, Should be turning out masterpieces in no time.

If not then Ulead provide time limited demo's for all there software,and they have all angles covered.Great gear,Easy to use and gives an excellent quality end result.

It maybe worth noting that the Leadtek TV Capture cards come with lite versions of 2 ulead products as well as one for makin 3d titles that can be added onto the footage.

Virtual-Dub is a free encoder (wth awesome tools) a very blunt editor (excelent) and can reopen and re-encode some corupted files......

~sy~
19-01-2005, 11:29 PM
I don't quite understand what your trying to do. Make movies? Edit movies captured on digital video camera...?

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Nerovision ( a separate download on the Nero site), deals with DVD too. You can capture, edit, burn, add titles (altho not a hell of a lot of them). Add photos/slideshows, and put them on DVD / CD.

BUT it works. Thats the main thing.

somebody
20-01-2005, 09:36 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/moviemaker2.mspx

Very easy to use, plus it's free.

berryb
20-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the input. Yes are running XP Pro on all the PC's. Win Movie Maker just hasn't got what the boffins want. Works fine for me. Looking for something that is as simple as Win movie maker but with more features and options. I will try some tof the suggestions, Cheers

Metla
20-01-2005, 11:00 PM
What is it that they want?

I use a Ulead program with far more features and capabilities,but 99 percent of them go unused, Infact its probally only the ability to add numerous audio tracks that makes me prefer it (and the fact it doesn't try to force me through the process like Moviemaker 2 does,but that is a help to most)

berryb
20-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Metla
Basically have a new member of staff who is up with movie making (the only staff member who is) but on a Mac, not PC. Doesnít like what XP has to offer and wants a Mac. We donít want a Mac/s on the network and donít see the need to purchase standalones just for movie making. Hence the question whatís the options for the PC.

Metla
20-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Bad luck, a rabid mac fan.

You won't be able to please them, It won't matter how good the software is, There is plenty on the Windows platform that is as good as imovie,and plenty that kills it outright.

Movie Maker is probally even better then imovie.

Metla
20-01-2005, 11:32 PM
hmmm.....I have just been looking into what sort of program imovie has develped into over the last few years,still seems to be a take-u-by-the-hand from start to finish type of program,but without the ability to verify it by using it that observation is near useless.

The product I settled on for my use is Ulead Media Studio Pro 7.0, Its a fully featured suite (incoperating far more then i can make use of) but is most probally above the capabilities of someone used to a "wizard" type interface (as in you turn it on and nothing happens,there is no "press here to start making your movie" sign,or simplifed layout)

berryb
20-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks Metla. Will have a look at Ulead.

Metla
20-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Right,Sorry for 3 posts in a row,But last time i done an addition via the post edit button the 15 minute timeframe finished as i was typing and the new entry was lost....besides, It increases my post count and we all know how important that is.

This is the ulead page that provides a pretty detailed overiew of the product I mentioned as well as a link to a trial version.

http://www.ulead.com/msp/

But going back to the point i mentioned before, Someone who has only used basic Home user packages such as imovie maybe a little lost, And this program while not as expensive as some is still a fair whack to waste if its not to be used.

There are many simplistic home user programs on par with imovie, But i doubt a mac fan would be happy with any of them, Mostly because they aren't in the mac style,and because they aren't running on a mac....

This site gives a breif overview of some populer programs on both platforms, http://www.manifest-tech.com/links/pcvidsw.htm

If you click the link on that page for the full versions it shows screenshots of the various apps,imovie is under the consumer section, and its easy to see the similarities between it and the Windows programs

dang,Didnt get my 3 in a row afterall..... :help:

agent
21-01-2005, 12:37 AM
This Mac user may have tried Final Cut Pro, I hear that's a darn fine application.

Metla
21-01-2005, 12:51 AM
True,I did make an assumption or 2, But going by the price of Final Cut Pro its unlikely to be seen outside of professional work spaces.

Sure looks sweet though

somebody
21-01-2005, 08:07 AM
Final Cut Pro is an excellent program (although I personally don't like it) for Mac, and it can be purchased at academic prices for schools. I have found that Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 is very similar in layout and function to Final Cut Pro, and would be the PC alternative. The only problem is the cost: http://www.educomp.co.nz/adobe_premiere.htm.

Maybe Premiere Elements would do the job just as well, but I have never tried it myself.

berryb
21-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Thank you all. Some good info here. Now all I need is some time to do some investigating.

Adam678
22-01-2005, 06:42 AM
I use a brilliant program called Sony vegas, but it might be a little bit too advance for children :p

somebody
22-01-2005, 07:54 AM
I second the recommendation for Sony Vegas - I used an older version (Sonic Foundry Vegas Video 4.0) to edit a video for a course I did a while ago, and it was very easy to use and provided very professional results. More features than you could ever want.