PDA

View Full Version : Wired Country Broadband

jamesyboi
19-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Hi there, Im using dial up watchdog internet, my parents got it only cos it filters dodgy content on the net.....tsk tsk tsk.....anywho i need broadband for mainly gaming and small downloads. what do you think of this deal? and the service using 'wired country' thanks, james

http://www.watchdog.net.nz/index300.html

Wired Country now gives customers in the Auckland, Counties, Papakura, Manurewa and Hamilton regions access to a wider choice of Internet

Wired Country is a wireless Internet service where a small antenna is mounted on the roof or wall at a convenient place. Note that in most areas the Wired Country service requires a clear line-of-sight from your location to the nearest Wired Country point of presence, such as the Sky Tower in Auckland

Note: To use the Wired Country broadband service your computer must have an ethernet network card (NIC) installed. These can be purchased at computer stores for around $50.

256k Plans

Installation $90.00 (Includes Wired Country setup)

New Pricing
$39.95 per month for 256k access with 1GB data

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
even if it is good i still dont have a clear line of sight to the sky tower
(im in auckland, northshore, beachhaven.) our house is down a hill but maybe a high poll would do it? otherwise do you know any other cheap broadband options?

Prescott
19-01-2005, 08:48 PM
if you are going to do gaming, and downloading you will blow your 1gb very fast

jamesyboi
19-01-2005, 08:59 PM
my cousins have 1GB cap, they always blow it but i dont download much.......600mb a month.......i duno

~sy~
19-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Even just browsing the net will rack up pretty quickly if you have more than one users. With games and download, you'll blow 1Gb in no time. Have you considered just getting Jetstream? They still have the free setup and modem deal if you sign up with Xtra now.

hamstar
20-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Dont get xtra... they are terrible... do not support them. They are the recent new zealand has no decent internet as well as the reason nz has internet and they are playing on it like monopolistic bastards...

Get Orcon...

256k download 128k upload UNLIMTED CAP for $50 a month... $100 setup, the line filters etc and the modem of course....

http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/prices/ :D

~sy~
20-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Well unless you're going to use over 3Gb I don't see any advantage in going with Orcon. Well, unless your attitude to big companies is like hamstar. Going with Orcon, you get the benefits of:

-Yay/Boo, I'm no longer with Telecom
-Unlimited bandwidth
-The joys of writing a few more cheques out :illogical
-$99.95 to join up
-Anywhere from about $70+ for a modem
-About $10 for every phone you have in the house for filters (Or $150 to get a proper Telecom guy to come split your line)

So assuming you join Orcon, you will have to pay another extra $200+

However, on the other hand, if your with Xtra, benefits are as follows
-Yay/Boo, I'm with Telecom
-Free Modem
-Free Joining Fee
-May have to buy another one or two filters if you've got lots of phones round the house

So, there's almost no payment required to start your connection (unless you need extra filters, from memory Xtra gives about two I think)

If they were both giving free connection and free modems, heck!, I'd no doubt be recommending Orcon. But they're not are they ;) Which one is more logical is up to you to decide.

somebody
20-01-2005, 09:33 AM
I've been a Telecom/Xtra customer for over 17 yrs (Xtra customer since 1998 or thereabouts), and have never had a problem with them. Service has always been acceptable, quality of connection has always been good. I'm currently on Xtra Jetstream, and have had no problems whatsoever.

jamesyboi
20-01-2005, 10:59 AM
ARE YOU SAYING I CAN JOIN XTRA BROADBAND AND PAY NO CONNECTION FEE??????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????

i saw the add and it said only until the 12th of december???? and i thought you had to pay for the connection fee after that date????????????????????

but if u can still join xtra for free (saving modem cost etc) THEN I SO BADYLY WANT IT!!!!!!!!!

~sy~
20-01-2005, 11:07 AM
ARE YOU SAYING I CAN JOIN XTRA BROADBAND AND PAY NO CONNECTION FEE??????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????

i saw the add and it said only until the 12th of december???? and i thought you had to pay for the connection fee after that date????????????????????

but if u can still join xtra for free (saving modem cost etc) THEN I SO BADYLY WANT IT!!!!!!!!!
Well, the deal has been continued -I'm guessing "due to popular demand" :D

Look at the special offer here (http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,5123,203191-202335,00.html). Order online and be in to win 25 Xbox or something too.

jamesyboi
20-01-2005, 11:16 AM
awesome, thanks dudes. STUFF ORCON.... a guy i know by the name of...Enduro| is on orcon and hes an enemy of mine :P......even if he can fly choppers better than me in desert combat i like to TK him under someone elses name (shh)

i can't pay more than $40 a month.....cos i already do!! for DIAL UP!!

~sy~
20-01-2005, 02:06 PM
$40 for dial up?!?!? Who the heck charges you that!?

george12
20-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Thats like ...... 4 times what you should be paying. Or 3 if you get real good quality dialup.....

Metla
20-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Uh....There is no such thing as a free modem,The idea is to suck you into their plan which will provide the biggest profit for them (as in high speed and low cap)

Plus, The modem is nothing great, and if anyone has any interest in online gaming that plan is the worst you could go for,a couple of patches and a few hours gaming would kill it, I doubt it would last a week of intended use.

At the very least Orcon provide plans to suit without any "free" gear to shape your desicion.

It pays to look deeper then the marketing..

storM
20-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Orcon UBS actually sucks @ the moment with the amazingly high ping.

~sy~
20-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Uh....There is no such thing as a free modem,The idea is to suck you into their plan which will provide the biggest profit for them (as in high speed and low cap)

Plus, The modem is nothing great, and if anyone has any interest in online gaming that plan is the worst you could go for,a couple of patches and a few hours gaming would kill it, I doubt it would last a week of intended use.

At the very least Orcon provide plans to suit without any "free" gear to shape your desicion.

It pays to look deeper then the marketing..
The problem is, jamesyboi has continually insisted that he couldn't go over $40. That alone, meant all that was available to him are the 1Gb plans -from both Xtra and Orcon. Looking at those offerings, the Orcon plan does not offer any advantage over Xtra's.

Isn't marketing what business is about?

Metla
20-01-2005, 03:37 PM
ah,...I bounced right over the budget issue, I supose if thats locked in then its a matter of choosing the best deal at that price then, Personally i would get a job and come up with the extra $10 :lol:

And call me old fashioned but i aviod companies who put more effort into their promotion and ways to suck money off their customers then they do into providing a worthwhile product.

~sy~
20-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Personally i would get a job and come up with the extra $10 :lol: Thats a very good point. Surely, if you afford $40 -then you can afford $50 :D

jamesyboi
20-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Thats a very good point. Surely, if you afford $40 -then you can afford $50 :D

i know i desperately need a job..... $30 for watchdog bull**** internet and $7 for voicemail because im hoggin the line :P

EMPLOY MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

tech_meister
20-01-2005, 10:50 PM
Just like to put my 10c worth, as I,m in a pissed off mood anyway.
I,m on a 3gb 256 plan with Xtra and have been put on dialup speed for about
10 days now (sucks) today should have been my new month with 3gb of
256 speed but I,m still on 64kbs, not happy!!
Don't talk to me about marketing.
Orcon here I come!!

~sy~
20-01-2005, 10:53 PM
EMPLOY MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWhere abouts are you? If Auckland, what part?

tech_meister
21-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Whangarei-ish
I also cannot get into the usage meter site, which is not usual.
I rang xtra this morning and the guy said just let me check your usage
and he couldn't get into it either, so xtra did not even know there is a
problem.
So I'm suck on dialup speed.
There gonna pay!!

Prescott
21-01-2005, 06:44 PM
xtra usage meter is down

jamesyboi
22-01-2005, 12:50 PM
lol im in beachaven, northshore, auckland......0.o

my friend / enemy enduro| is on orcon and he gets ping of 40 - 60 usually and he used to host desert combat 9th rangers server or something

jamesyboi
22-01-2005, 05:56 PM
okay turns out he is using xtra he just has an orcon email account -.-"!!

enduro|
22-01-2005, 06:00 PM
It's called a server administrator :P

I'm with xtra and use the JSG gaming realm when playing _b

HadO
22-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Go with XTRA - I've got the cheapest plan and have got away with going uncapped 2/3 months I've had it - it's very good for gaming and we're talking in excess of 10GB/month :P :)

Network bug? Luck? Who knows - I'm happy! :) :)

enduro|
22-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Enduro| is on orcon and hes an enemy of mine :P......even if he can fly choppers better than me in desert combat i like to TK him under someone elses name (shh)

That's also why you are banned from the server ;)

~sy~
22-01-2005, 08:26 PM
lol im in beachaven, northshore, auckland......0.oShould be pretty easy to get a job if you are keen for one. McDonalds, supermarkets, etc. are always after people. There is really no reason why you can't get a job.