PDA

View Full Version : cant load an OS

kevp
19-01-2005, 08:18 PM
just got in my order from zipzoomfly friday.
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (939),
Athlon64 3500+,
Zalman CNPS7000B-CU Pure Copper CPU Cooler
Zalman ZM400B-APS 400W Power Supply
Patriot PDC1G3200+XBLK 1GB Kit DDR400 PC3200,
western digital caviar IDE 80 gig w/ 8mb buffer
ATI radeon 9800 pro

Put everything together, flashed the bios to the latest version. formatted through win98 floppy and then the fun begins. it lets me get all the way through the MS-DOS portion of install and prompts for the re-boot. when it boots again it doesn't detect the install and i get the "missing operating system". so i tried an older hard drive that i knew was working, formated it etc.... got to the re-boot on install and it's the same old same old. tried fdisk/mbr because i read somewhere that may do it. nothing. i've fdisk'd and re-formatted both drives i tested (new one and old one) about ten times and each time its the same. could i have bad ram? the CPU is running steady at around 120 farenheight btw. please help me! i bought all this stuff via the internet so returns have to be fed ex'd. i need to know the source of my problem!

PS - ive tried installing 3 different OS. win98, win2k and winxp

robsonde
19-01-2005, 08:36 PM
check the jumpers on the hard drives.

check that the bios settings are not setup to "prevent writing to MBR" or "virus protect"
these things can stoip a OS from installing.

sounds like its a settings issue and not a hardware thing.

Prescott
19-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Put everything together, flashed the bios to the latest version.

there is your 1st mistake, why did you flash the bois?

Speedy Gonzales
19-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Nothing wrong with flashing a BIOS. Its when it doesnt boot again u have a prob. If it doesnt flash properly.

How r you trying to install windows Kev?? Booting from CD / Have u changed the bootdisk to the CD? And what version of Windows are you installing?

By the sounds of it, you're installing it wrong.

Prescott
19-01-2005, 08:52 PM
what i meant was,he hasnt even loaded an os so he doesnt know that there problems. he was lucky,[edit:he may be lucky] oh well

are the ide calbes the right way around?

Metla
19-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Whats "wrong" with flashing the bios is that he hadn't made certain the board even worked before doing so, And now he has an issue and one would have to look at the flash as a possible cause.

Speedy Gonzales
19-01-2005, 08:59 PM
True but if it wasnt the right flash well "sometimes" it tells you. BUT then if it was a bad flash, I would say it wld be dead as. You wouldnt get anything.

Not even a screen. Or post. Oh well, we'll soon find out :@@:

kevp
20-01-2005, 07:35 AM
there is your 1st mistake, why did you flash the bois?

i flashed it because nothing else was working that i tried. i spent a couple days trouble shooting before i flashed. and flashing it didnt change the outcome of what is happening. i will try and go through the bios for the virus protection and mbr protection. thanks for the help guys.

kevp
20-01-2005, 07:44 AM
Nothing wrong with flashing a BIOS. Its when it doesnt boot again u have a prob. If it doesnt flash properly.

How r you trying to install windows Kev?? Booting from CD / Have u changed the bootdisk to the CD? And what version of Windows are you installing?

By the sounds of it, you're installing it wrong.

I am using a win98 floppy to boot to dos and i am partitioning and formatting through fdisk.

wintertide
20-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Try manually setting the HDD in the BIOS to use LBA.

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2005, 08:55 AM
I am using a win98 floppy to boot to dos and i am partitioning and formatting through fdisk.

Are you installing 98 or XP Kev?? Windows CD's are usually bootable. you DONT need a floppy to format or partition.

If u put the cd in and boot from it (change bootdisk in BIOS to CD). It SHOULD boot, and allow you to format / partition in 98/XP's setup screen

kevp
20-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Are you installing 98 or XP Kev?? Windows CD's are usually bootable. you DONT need a floppy to format or partition.

If u put the cd in and boot from it (change bootdisk in BIOS to CD). It SHOULD boot, and allow you to format / partition in 98/XP's setup screen

i only tried 98 because i thought my xp install disc may have been bad. it wont allow me to boot from CD. prompts to insert system disc and restart. checked the disc on another PC, and its fine. did it with a known good CD drive and no luck there either. i think the mother board is fried and the IDE controllers are screwed. any objections to that theory? cant be the CPU, right? thats running stable. Memory checks fine and the diognostic LEDs dont hang on the bad memory code. used known good IDE cables from another PC, no luck there. the only thing left is the mobo????? right?????

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Its possible the mobo maybe the prob. Altho if the BIOS detects the hdd/s and cd's etc, it should be ok. The 98 cd may still be bootable (but not go into setup). Have you got a 98 cd?? Try chucking that in boot from cd. If it goes to dos, type setup. See if it does anything.

I would check the cable/power supply on the cd/s....It could also be a dusty or scratched cd.. Give it a wipe....

So it prompts u to put the system disk in before it actually gets to the setup screen with the XP CD?

When u put the cd in, and boot from it, can u see where it says press any key on the post screen?? To boot from that CD?

Did u press a key for it to start?? if u take too long to press a key, it'll go the next boot disk in order, whatever order it is in the BIOS. This maybe the hdd/floppy. And since neither have anything / an os on them, this maybe the reason for that message.

wintertide
20-01-2005, 03:10 PM
I had a similar problem a few days ago where I installed Fedora and then the drives wouldn't pick up as LBA... I couldn't renistall anything on the drive as it would keep coming up 'Missing operating system'. I had to manually change the LBA setting in the BIOS - just try it and see if it works!

kevp
20-01-2005, 08:17 PM
thanks for all the help guys. know what it was? i thought the HDD needed the jumper set to master, since it is in fact the master HDD. well, if it's the only drive it's to be set to nothing. that's all it was. i feel stupid.

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2005, 08:24 PM
lol. good you got it working there Kev