PDA

View Full Version : duel booting 2 dos versions off floppy

robsonde
19-01-2005, 03:36 PM
i need to make 1 floppy with both MS6.22 and win95 DOS.

is there a way to duel boot off a floppy??

Billy T
19-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Yes, you start with a simple bootdisk and then run a batchfile. I am not sure why you would want to dual-boot DOS though, with the speed that DOS boots I would use separate floppies and save a whole lot of time and aggro.

To change DOS versions you just exit to the command prompt, eject the first floppy, insert the second and press reset: Game over!

Perhaps a little more explanation of your requirements would make it easier to offer constructive advice.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

d.murray
19-01-2005, 04:23 PM
I don't see much point in having a booting duel between DOS and Windows.

I suspect that DOS would Win hands down

Graham L
19-01-2005, 04:42 PM
It might be possible ... DOS 6.X has the MENU/MENUITEM commands in CONFIG.SYS, and can start batch files as required.

Changing the SHELL environment variable might work , but I don't know what the hidden IO.SYS etc files will think about that.

You also have big problems with the utility programmes. Most of them hate being run from the wrong version of DOS. VERSION can get around some troubles, but it's always risky.

Dual boot of DOS is going to be easiest when using two floppies. :D

robsonde
19-01-2005, 06:55 PM
basicly it a problem of haveing two floppys of scripted crap one runs in MS6.22 and does a format and sys of the hard drive.

the second floppy is a win95 boot disk and it runs a lot of dos network crap.

network crap wont run under dos 6.22 and the client has an issue with the hard drive being formated for win95 dos.

I have an issue with haveing to use two floppys to do the job.

i can make it all run for one floppy but only if it is a win95 floppy so the network crap works, if i do this then when i run "sys c:" it copys all the win95 boot info for the win95 floppy.

you follow all that???

beama
19-01-2005, 07:33 PM
dont know if this will suit your needs
bootable menu driven cdrom which allows for on boot to select the dos version you wish to use, personally though Im with Billy on this, just change floppies. I network boot pc's using floopies for imaging purposes (power quest is on network share as well as the image files) and its fast.

merlin
19-01-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm not aware this is possible.
In theory there may be a workaround but given the parameters for installing a dual-boot system, I doubt it.

As a suggestion, do this onto a hard drive.
To set up a dual-boot system, install MS DOS 6.22 first and then Windows 95 version 1 second.
Boot into Windows 95 and modify autoexec.bat and config.sys and rem all references to Windows 95. Do not alter those ending with .dos.
Ensure MS DOS 6.22 and the DOS prompt for Win95 are accessable.
Remove all files and folders installed by Windows and unnecessary to access the Windows 95 DOS prompt.
Restart and access MS DOS 6.22
Format a floppy disk in MS DOS 6.22 mode
Copy all files from the hard drive to the floppy. It may be necessary to unhide all files before copying the files.

This may not work since MS DOS 6.22 cannot be installed to a floppy drive and a floppy has insuficient space for Windows 95. Also no version of Windows, apart from the first release, will support dual-booting with MS DOS without modifying the boot files.

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
- Will Rogers

beama
19-01-2005, 11:28 PM
As far as i understand it,robsonde does not what the full blown DOS 6.22 or Win95 DOS, he/she just what sufficent files to make a boot disk which would be; command.com, io.sys and msdos.sys.
Note
if you what to load anything from autoexec.bat you must have a config.sys file even if its empty as the autoexec.bat file will not be processed without a config.sys file present.