PDA

View Full Version : Linux Version

Squibler
19-01-2005, 02:24 PM
I am not new to linux, I know most versions quite well but I am not quite sure which one to use as my main OS. I can choose between:

Mandrake v10 $1.00
Mandrake v10.1 $8.50
Knoppix $1.00
Morphix $1.00
Fedora Core 3 $4.95

I am considering getting 'Crossover' to get office 2000 onto my PC.

Any information will be appreciated,
Kind Regards,
Squiber :)

KiwiLinc
19-01-2005, 03:32 PM
I just installed Xandros 3 Deluxe. It a real beauty. I'm newish to Linux but this is worth a look. Comes with 'Crossover"(Codeweavers). $18.00 & 9 days from the USA.

Catweazle
19-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Are you asking which version we would recommend? It really depends on a lot of things but perhaps the most pertinent is which one you would feel the most comfortable with and which one would do everything you would require of it.

If you're going for hard-disk based, knoppix is out, being a liveCD distro (although you can transfer it to hd with a bit of tinkering around).

Morphix is a good little gnome-based distro, although I have had trouble in the past setting up ppp on it for my trusty old serial modem.

Mandrake is a good all-rounder as is FC3. FC3 can take some setting up also, to get it running how you want.

Perhaps you shouldn't restrict your choices to those few though, as there are a lot of other excellent distros out there i.e Ubuntu, Gentoo, Suse, Yoper, the list goes on.

When it all comes down to it, you're the only one who can choose though. Heck, you could always just try the whole lot out. Its good fun! :)

vinref
19-01-2005, 04:00 PM
I am not new to linux, I know most versions quite well but I am not quite sure which one to use as my main OS. I can choose between:

Mandrake v10 $1.00
Mandrake v10.1 $8.50
Knoppix $1.00
Morphix $1.00
Fedora Core 3 $4.95

I am considering getting 'Crossover' to get office 2000 onto my PC.

Any information will be appreciated,
Kind Regards,
Squiber :)

Since money is obviously no object, and since there doesn't seem to be anything incredibly significantly different between the choices, install all of them and work out which one gives you the least painful headache in trying to get everything working on your hardware. Then have a look at the user and support community and see if you like what you see.

Squibler
19-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks for that info, I will go in and buy all of them (cheap as chips) tomorrow.

Thanks to the PressF1 Forum, to Vinref, Catweazle and KiwiLinc.

Kind Regards,
Squibler :)

Squibler
19-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Soory, I forgot to mention, I will still be checking this post, so feel free to keep sending replys.

Kind Regards,
Squibler

Chilling_Silence
19-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Id suggest Fedora Core 3 for a n00b.
Ive not had good experiences with Mandrake, YMMV.

Personally, Im a Gentoo user all the way ;)