PDA

View Full Version : Please save me from the bane of disappearing Quick Launch!

braindead
19-01-2005, 01:54 PM
I thought I'd have one more try and see if experts here have any clues for my constantly disappearing Quick Launch bar in XP Home.

This annoying bug keeps happening on several PCs, even one not connected to the net, hence spyware cannot be the cause.

Symptoms: I reboot and Quick Launch, usually in the taskbar, is gone. I can right-click the taskbar, choose Quick Launch and it reappears, though its jammed to the far left with only 3 or 4 icons showing. By dragging the little grey line to the left of these icons slightly upwards, I can make all the icons visible again.

If I restore it the long way, via Start>Settings>TaskBar the Quick Launch checkbox is now always unchecked after a reboot.

Needless to say this is a PITA.

I've scoured the net, tried various tweaks including this one, to no avail:

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT. Navigate to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion\Winlogon]

In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes. Also, change the path to userinit.exe appropriately, if Windows is installed in a different drive.

Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. The Quick Launch settings should be retained now.

I've scanned my hard drives for spyware using Spybot and AdAware and everything is clean. Ditto for virii.

Help me Obewan, you are my only hope.

Most grateful for any suggestions! ~ John

johnboy
19-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Have you seen this taskbar repair utility
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
hth

braindead
19-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Hi johnboy - yes I have. That little suite of utils doesn't appear to address this particular problem. Thanks for responding.

johnboy
19-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Try this page
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/qlerror.htm
hth

braindead
19-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Yes - been there, done that :)

Metla
19-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Strange,To my knowledge disaperaing quick launch is not a widespread problem and not a common bug in XP, If i was the type to grasp at straws (worked in the past, lmao) I would see if these comps displaying this behaviour are running a common program or app that maybe causing the glitch....

johnboy
19-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Have you any other user accounts on your computer to see if the same problem exsists on them.
It could be a corrupted profile , You may have to delete your old one .
hth

Robby
20-01-2005, 10:04 AM
gidday,

not sure if this will do the trick, but is your task bar locked?
right click the tool bar, and remove the tick from lock tool the bar,set the launch bar how you want it, right click, and replace the tick.

good luck,

Robby

ualbert
27-02-2005, 02:16 AM
Just to comfirm you're not the only one with this problem, I too have the same issue on an IBM ThinkPad T41. I've tried all the remedies you've mentioned to no avail.

Maybe we can find a commonality between our system that would lead to the culprit. Here's the details on my affected machine:

IBM ThinkPad T41 w/1 GB RAM, 60 GB 7200 RPM drive
Windows XP Professional SP2 with all the latest Windows Updates
IE 6.0
Norton Internet Security Professional 2004
Microsoft Office Professional 2003
Almost all the IBM Utilities that came installed
Quicken Small Business 2005
IBM RecordNow
WinDVD
bunch of other smaller utility-type programs

Let me know if you find a solution and I'll do the same!

Renmoo
27-02-2005, 06:59 AM
Yeah, agree with Robby. You might have to lock the quick launch taskbar.

braindead
27-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Locking or unlocking doesn't appear to be the issue here. I went back to johnboy's link for taskbarplus and tried this prog again. When I tried it a week ago nothing happened and I assumed the prog was a dodo.

This time I clicked through the available quick launch and taskbar restore options in taskbarplus, then restored the taskbar manually (right-click taskbar), then rebooted. Quick launch not only reappeared on both PCs, but has remained visible over the last few reboot cycles. Hats off to johnboy for the tip :)

This is an obscure bug. I suspect the cause is one of Microsoft's security updaters for XP. A friend's PC that I resurrected recently from trojan/crapware death, did the same vanishing quick launch trick after an MS service pack update. In this case taskbarplus also came to the rescue.

Thanks to all for your kind help.