PDA

View Full Version : Trouble updating windows XP

gill
19-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Hi
I have on hand a CD used for updating Windows - dated february 2004.
I used it successfully early/mid in 2004.
Have been trying to use it recently on a laptop (which has been freshly formatted) and I am getting this error message.
The automated page did not start properly. You must log on to your computer
with administrator privileges to use this automated page.....
Has anyone got any ideas about how to fix this?
Of course I am logged on as administrator!
I looked online and there are a couple fo references to this problem but unfortunately not the solution that I could see.

Davesdad
19-01-2005, 12:49 PM
I had the same problem. I solved it by opening the disk in Explorer and navigating to '\Content\fullfixes and installing each update manually. Start with sp1 if you need it and then the others as required. Avoid the updates for win2k.

merlin
19-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Format and reinstall XP on the laptop.

Confirm the OS has been correctly installed first. since the error appears to be software related rather than hardware.

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
- Will Rogers

Davesdad
19-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Format and reinstall XP on the laptop.

This didn't work for me as I was already working with a fresh install. Installed XP 3 times all up. Same result each time.

Rob99
19-01-2005, 01:22 PM
You would be better off just getting a disc with SP2

gill
23-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Hey thanks for the ideas, I stumbled upon my own solution....Thought I would post it just incase someone else has this problem.
All I had to do was reset my computers date to a date in 2004 and the disk worked just like old times.
There must be something on the Security Update CD that prevents it being used after a certain length of time lapses!!
Happy now!