PDA

View Full Version : What is navprotect.exe?

bpt2
19-01-2005, 01:50 AM
This program keeps installing and running itself although I have deleted it from msconfig, registry and the windows\system32 folder after disabling system restore (winxp).
How can it still hide on the computer and how can I get rid of it?

weber
19-01-2005, 02:07 AM
is it safe to say navprotect.exe is nortan anti-virus protect? (first impression)

well after 1 minute of research I found

C:\WINDOWS\System32\navprotect.exe

it looks like its spyware or a backdoor path into your computer. I so im thinking its a virus. Im not computer expert, but thats my insight

gl?

Vince
19-01-2005, 04:03 AM
navprotect.exe is part of Nortons AntiVirus package.
Vince

i-gordon
19-01-2005, 12:25 PM
On my comp Norton AV is nprotect.exe
May be a nasty.

pixeldust
19-01-2005, 12:54 PM
navprotect.exe is a nasty. When did you last do an AdAware/Spybot scan? You might want to do another, then download HijackThis (http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip), run, and remove the process.

Vince
23-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Sory it has taken me so long to get back to this thread. I have been in the hospital for surgery. My post above was wrong. navprotect.exe is indeed a "nasty". All it took was a quick Google for me to see that.

Prescott
23-01-2005, 12:47 PM
weird, i seem to have it aswell, it sounded strange because i dont have NAV installed, even an updated adaware,spybot and avg doesnt pick it up.thanks for the tip, im gonna nail it now

bpt2
23-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Please tell me how you nail it.

Onyks
23-01-2005, 09:07 PM
from my experience most things starting with nav are norton anti virus but being in the sys32 file... is slightly odd. first off if you dont have norton anti virus remove it asap, it cannot hurt anything (that i am aware of). if you do have norton and do not want to corrupt it try disabling it in msconfig.

(goto run/ type "msconfig"/ goto startup) look for it there and disable, do not delete it. Restart, see if you are having same problems (if you are having any) and check and see if norton anti-virus still works etc. etc.

do whatever you think is necessary before you feel like it is ok to be removed.

I am yet to have a norton product run an exe from sys32 or even have a 'nav' file in sys32. This may not be true for you im running/have run norton 02-04 on 98-ME (not respectively).

Corect me if im wrong anyone i do not want to give misinformation.

also for others with the experience use 'regedit' or corresponding program and delete keys for spyware/hijacker programs. i do not understand the registry fully and how its possible to do this but ive had viruses/spyware return after complete deletion w/o surfing the web (cable, always online) if i do not delete their remnants in registry.

PLEASE AVOID REGEDIT IF YOU ARE A NOVICE USER - unless you would like a bigger mess than a hijacker or virus

Im a not-so-advanced computer user but i have dealt with many spyware/virus problems working on computers at school.

hope i could be of help.

Vince
24-01-2005, 02:32 AM
weird, i seem to have it aswell, it sounded strange because i dont have NAV installed, even an updated adaware,spybot and avg doesnt pick it up.thanks for the tip, im gonna nail it now

For your information, I am running Norton Anti Virus, and I don't have navprotect.exe in system32, or anywhere else on my computer. Vince :)