PDA

View Full Version : Drawing Software

jcr1
18-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Does anyone know of a good free drawing programme; something that would have a grid that I could layer across a map that I already have saved on my computer.

ninja
18-01-2005, 03:15 PM
The Draw package in Open Office is quite good.

johnboy
18-01-2005, 03:21 PM
here is a thread on this sort of subject
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=52760&highlight=maps
hth

Prescott
18-01-2005, 06:58 PM
here is a thread on this sort of subject
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=52760&highlight=maps
hth

ahh thats my old thread, a fair bit of good info there, but dont bother getting OCAD, its crap if you are starting from scratch. i ended up doing my map in word, and just using the lines there. however i did find a very goog program, map maker, and you can find it at http://www.mapmaker.com , it has grids and is actually very easy to use, about 4mb in size

jcr1
18-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Thankyou JohnBoy, could just fit the bill perectly for me.

jcr1
19-01-2005, 01:57 PM
I am trying Map Maker and can see some quite useful functions I might be able to use.

I wonder if one of the cartographer/surveyor types could help me.

I have a farm map, which I know the surveyed area of. Mapmaker has a very good tool for creating polygons and calculating area, which I could use to get size of paddocks, waste area etc.

But I can't figure out how to get the right scale, using it as it is gives me areas 4x greater than what I know it should be.

Is there a way I could set it up by setting the total area of the farm within its boundaries, then I would be able to use the area calculating tool to do the aforementioned tasks. :confused:

Prescott
19-01-2005, 06:31 PM
you can use custom scales... navigate>zoom to scale>custom

jcr1
19-01-2005, 10:14 PM
I've figured a way to calculate areas using map maker; no more having to count grid squares :thumbs: .
I saved an aerial photo of my farm into Map Maker, ran the area calculator around the boundary - this gave an absurd result, but because I know the surveyed area down to 4 decimal points; this gives me a nice conversion figure and a simple calculation gives me the correct area of whatever part of the farm I want to measure (through up some surprises when I saw how much area we've recently developed).
My situation here is a bit different to yours in Southland, Prescott, as my place is quite undulating and the paddocks are all shapes, so I need something a bit more detailed than what would suffice for your purposes. But I know what you mean about flat regular Southland farm as a friend of mine shifted down there and he showed me his farm map; a rectangle with every paddock almost the same size - a dream for management.

Prescott
20-01-2005, 09:11 AM
sweet, this (http://www.csc.school.nz/home/01190/farmmap.JPG) is the map i made in word, very simple. however i am going to do it in the map maker program and might hire out a gps for the day and get the sizes......

superoman
20-01-2005, 08:49 PM
OCAD works with vectors. It doesn't matter what size you want to print it out, it will alway be high resolution. OCAD requires all data to be input into OCAD for this to work.

If your map already saved on your computer was a dxf file or the like you could import it into OCAD and without much fuss it would be able to change scales/sizes easily.

If it is an image file like a jpg or bmp you are out of luck importing it directly into OCAD, but if you cand find someone with a program like CORELTRACE it could be converted to a vector file.

It might be worth tracing over your map if it is a jpg or similar in OCAD because then if there are any physical changes on the ground it is more easily changable in OCAD rather than directly in the jpg image.

Im not sure why the other guy didnt use OCAD for his map. It would be far easier to change the size and scale, and also would be more easily converted into other formats

Superoman

superoman
20-01-2005, 08:51 PM
OCAD also will calculate areas easily