PDA

View Full Version : Thumb/Pen Drive Permissions

dbsteimle
18-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Hello,

New to the forum. I hope this isn't an old item.

I have just configured my thumbdrive to work with my Linux box (Fedora Core 2), including the /etc/fstab entry for mount point association.

I find that only root has write privileges, and when I try to change permissions or ownership, I get a "you are not authorized..." error.

So, for now, I shell-in as root and cp the files... Please tell me there is a *.conf file or the like I need to modify :-)

Cheers,
Dave Steimle

Graham L
18-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Quite simply, you probably used root to create the mount point. It will be owned by root, and group[ and world won't have a look in. ;) Do ls -l /mnt to see the permissions of the mount points there. You could probably do chmod 777 /mnt/* without too much problem with security. (The security bits are R, W, E and the chmod number is an octal number. 7 = "111" so means R, W, E. R, ,E would be 5 -- "101". The three octal digits are for Owner, Group, World. You need Execute permission to be able to use a directory, Read lets you read files in it; Write allows you to make and modify and delete files.

FoxyMX
18-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Have a look at this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=47237&highlight=fedora+pen+drive).