PDA

View Full Version : Computer wont start up!!!!!!! HELP!!!

antonio_montana
18-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Hello
My computer is just over 1 year old, it has a K7 Triton 400 GA-7VA VIA KT400 chipset motherboard. A few days ago while i was playing need for speed underground 2 my computer just switched off and it wouldnt turn back on, i assumed it overheated so i gave it a while and it still wouldnt turn on. It was a pretty hot day the temperature was about 38C (100.4F) my computer had been on for about 24 hours and the case was closed. Also my computer was pretty dusty inside. When i try to turn it on now the memory LED light turns on and the CPU fan turns for a split second then it stops but the memory LED light stays on. Yeh id just like some opinions on what you guys think the problem could be???.........thanks

Antonio Montana

Odin
18-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Are there any beeps, does the fan in the power supply go or keep going?

antonio_montana
18-01-2005, 02:43 PM
NO there arent any beeps at all and the fan in the power supply also turns for a split second only and the power supply was pretty clogged with dust.

pheonix
18-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Indicates that the standby part of the Power Supply is working OK. The flick of the fan indicates it is trying to start, but closes down for some reason.

First, have a look at your motherboard and see if the capacitors ( tubular devices that stand off the board, about 10mm round) have flat tops, or they are bulging. I have the same MOBO and had to change out half a dozen capacitors that had bulged and on the way out.

After that, I would suggest you remove everything apart from motherboard, CPU and power supply. Turn on and if the same thing happens, you have a failed powerSupply or CPU or Motherboard. Substitution is the only real way of determining which one is definitely faulty. :badpc:

antonio_montana
18-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks phenoix just a few questions about what you said. Is the buldging realy noticeabel? the top of the capacitators have lines running throug them and some off the capacitators are completely flat but some have a slight almost unnoticabel buldge between each of those lines. Also u say to remove everything does that include the RAM the CPU fan the hard drive and all the cd drives? ohhhh and how much approximently does it cost to replace the capacitators??

Odin
18-01-2005, 04:22 PM
I'm inclined to think the problem is with the PSU, perhaps try another one and see if the computer does fire up. Not really sure what else it could be unless the mother board itself has gone but it is still capable of proving enough power to run the Memory Led light,

antonio_montana
18-01-2005, 04:26 PM
ok cool if its the PSU itl be ok. Ummmm i have a 8 year old PSU from my old old computer do you think it would work on my newer comp?

robsonde
18-01-2005, 04:45 PM
an 8 year old PSU wont work.

a new PSU will only cost $60-ish.

antonio_montana
18-01-2005, 04:48 PM
the old PSU works in the old computer........ but it wont work in the new one right???

LXXXVIII
18-01-2005, 04:51 PM
you can get then for about $35 at www.qmb.co.nz

bartsdadhomer
18-01-2005, 04:52 PM
the old PSU works in the old computer so yeh???
Probably does, but it won't have enough grunt to run your newer one & besides that the chances are the connection to the Motherboard will be AT instead of ATX

antonio_montana
18-01-2005, 04:53 PM
ok guys thanks for all the help!!!