PDA

View Full Version : Xtra Jetstream everyday plan

Overdrive_5000
18-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi people I was just wondering if anyone here is currently on this plan, because I am thinking about switching (from dialup) while this free deal is on. Are there any hidden costs that I should be aware of.
Thanks in advance. :thumbs:

HadO
18-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Well if you are upgrading from dialup even the cheapest (256k) deal will be great... even when it is speed capped you usually get better speed than dialup. The 1GB cap is pretty ridiculous and with 1Mbps speed you will blow that away very quickly...

What are you going to be doing with the new found speed??

RE: "Free" deal - I assume you mean the free ADSL modem and free joining fee? The modem (if it hasn't changed) is a D-Link with ethernet or usb capability so it's pretty good - REMEMBER you are signing into a 12 month contract so be sure about the plan!

Overdrive_5000
18-01-2005, 10:58 AM
I will mainly be using it for surfing & email and downloading drivers programs etc.

HadO
18-01-2005, 11:02 AM
Well the everyday plan is probably the way to go then - if you can stay under your 1GB cap then you will have very nice speed for your requirements :)

If you want to save $5 a month go for the cheaper plan.

In any case - buckle up :) :)

Metla
18-01-2005, 11:06 AM
The only thing I don't like about the supplied router (apart from the retarded Xtra software/wizard) is that it has no on off switch, In my humble opinion if your not activley using the net reach over and hit the on/off button.

The reasons for doing so are numerous and obvious.

HadO
18-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Scrap all the Xtra setup bs and USB mode :)

A few months back I also got the free signup/modem deal - I spent what I would have payed for that stuff on a nice ADSL switching router with NAT + Firewall - I don't bother turning that off... hmm... (thinks about idle net traffic bouncing off router and using bandwidth) :)

Also - if you can't set it up yourself dont get Telecom to do it - someone I know got there's set up - the guy used USB as the LAN driver wasn't installed and also had a telephone cable going from router port1 to the onboard LAN socket (why?) - unbelievable!

Scouse
18-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Hi Overdrive. I'm with Xtra and have their system. From this layman's point of view it seems to do all I want it to at fabulous speed - and we have the telephone free for calls also. Mainly emailing, downloading the occasional bits and pieces and browsing. After 26 days of my first montly rental I have just had an automatic warning that I have used 80% of my monthly allowance. Will suit my uses perfectly. Recommended :cool:

Metla
18-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Scrap all the Xtra setup bs and USB mode :)

Also - if you can't set it up yourself dont get Telecom to do it - someone I know got there's set up - the guy used USB as the LAN driver wasn't installed and also had a telephone cable going from router port1 to the onboard LAN socket (why?) - unbelievable!

I went and re-done a setup for someone the other day,they had gone with the telecom install,The initially got hold of me due to their emails not working, I asked for there xtra telecom name and pw to get started and was told they didnt know but when you started IE or OE it apeared on the screen.

To which i of course glannced down at the adsl modem and went.......UH?

The thing was still trying to dial up the internet, After 3 seconds of looking i found the LAN port on the comp was disabled.

The telecom tech had plugged it all in,Obvuiosly didnt have anything close to the basic ability required to do his job and left without getting it going.

Leaving the people who didnt know any better still using there dialup and paying for adsl.....

The crap i come across,It boggles the mind, and i assure you my mind has been boggled quite enough.

HadO
18-01-2005, 02:14 PM
If you pay for a premium install you should get the job done right...!

I found the phone line plugged into the RJ45 sockets unforgivable - it didnt even look like a lan cord it was a silver one with the rj12/11? plugs on each end...! :) :D

Ash M
18-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Keep in mind also that often other ISP's are cheaper than Xtra in the long run, even though you get a free modem and free install.

Hi people I was just wondering if anyone here is currently on this plan, because I am thinking about switching (from dialup) while this free deal is on. Are there any hidden costs that I should be aware of.
Thanks in advance. :thumbs: