PDA

View Full Version : OUTLOOK PST Files

bestie
17-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Hi all
I have some archived pst files on CD that I can't access. I have copied them down to the hard drive, changed from read only to not read only (in XP Home) then returned to outlook, clicked open outlook data file and mapped to the file, it returns the error `file is not a personal folders file'.

Do I need to do/change something else to enable it to open?

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
17-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Did u import it into Outlook?

bestie
17-01-2005, 01:34 PM
No. just tried to open it as an archive folder, but importing doesn't work either.

Thanks

godfather
17-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Try running the "Inbox Repair Tool" on the .PST and see if it finds any errors.
Search your drive for a file called scanpst.exe and run it.

Billy T
17-01-2005, 09:53 PM
I have several archived pst files and a couple are partially corrupted in that emails earlier than a certain date cannot be deleted, and Scanpst can't fix them.

I keep them all in the same folder as my current PST file, but renamed in age order to Outlook.ps1, Outlook.ps2 etc. They are still fully readable and searchable though, and to access them, all I do is rename my current file to Outlook.ps_ then rename the one I want to open to Outlook.pst, open Outlook and away it goes. I reverse the process to go back to my current file.

It is a good idea to make sure all current emails are downloaded before renaming in case you accidentally download new messages to an archive file. It doesn't matter that much as you can forward them to yourself then download again once you revert to your current PST file, but it is a nuisance if too many have to be forwarded.

You can also temporarily change the default location for Outlook.pst to the folder where your archive is kept, but I find that cumbersome and prefer to keep all the files in one folder and rename as above.

It works for me, but your mileage may vary according to your specific needs.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)