PDA

View Full Version : Flat bed scanners

wmoore
17-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Hi

Just wondering if anyone still uses thier flat bed scanner for anything. With
Digital cameras etc they seem to be more and more redudant. I quess the only thing I would use it for would be scanning pages from a book.

Comments please

FoxyMX
17-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Mine still gets a fair bit of use, mostly to scan photos taken during pre-digital camera days and to also scan printed material that I need to get onto the computer. I would not be without mine. :thumbs:

Greg
17-01-2005, 01:02 PM
I use mine quite a lot. Many of my customers aren't the least bit gadget savvy so I get a lot of their images on traditional film, which I need to convert for their websites.

Also the scanner does surprisingly well taking 'snapshots' of 3D items... the images below were done at quite low res and jpeg'd at 50% compression:

here (http://www.zu.co.nz/images/scan.jpg)
and here (http://www.zu.co.nz/images/scan2.jpg)
and here (http://www.zu.co.nz/images/scan3.jpg)

And definitly yes for scanning images from books, and also for the occasional OCR use.

I wouldn't want to be without mine, despite the fact it's a 5 year old $180.00 cheapie.

John H
17-01-2005, 01:16 PM
I use mine quite a lot. My wife and I have quite a lot of old family photos from the late 19th and early 20th centuries that we are slowly scanning into the computer as time allows. There are a number of reasons for this - 1. the original stock is deteriorating, so this is a means of "backing them up", and 2. so all members of the family who want them can have digital or printed copies for their albums.

My sister lost all of her family photos in a burglary, so I have been able to copy mine and give her the originals whilst I keep copies.

Secondly we have some handwritten documents (eg poems in the guid Scots tongue) written in pencil by a family member and in an advanced state of deterioration through folding and unfolding for about a century. I have been able to scan them, and enhance the image so I could read them and translate into English using a website that translates words from Scots. Again, this means the originals documents can be safely stored and new prints used and copies shared with other family members.

And we have just scanned and printed a copy of a (shhhh...) cartoon to make a card for our daughter who is just going in for an operation.

So yes, even though we have been using a digicam for some months now, we still have a need for a scanner. Particularly since my wife's English family have recently given us a lot of very old family pix...

Arnie
17-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi

My son has just completed scanning, touching up and recording to DVD around 150 family slides all around 30 years old.

Terrific results on an Epson photo scanner.

Metla
17-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Interesting......I shall have to scan my stapler now and see how it turns out......

Lohsing
17-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Hi

My son has just completed scanning, touching up and recording to DVD around 150 family slides all around 30 years old.

I'd be interested in knowing what software he used and over what period of time it took to complete.

Lo.

Arnie
17-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Lo

M/S Photo image was used, as to time taken he did it over a week or two a few at a time. Can't get hold of him at the moment as he is cycling around the bottom half of the mainland (ChCh south) and won't be home for a couple of weeks.

John H
17-01-2005, 04:23 PM
Hi

Arnie, a friend of mine has about 50 years worth of slides he wants to scan to digital media. Can you please let me know what model of scanner your son used - my friend has asked for my advice about slide scanners, and I only know of one (Pacific Image) which has not been much chop for either my son or me.

Thanks

John

Arnie
17-01-2005, 04:43 PM
John

It is an Epson perfection Photo 2480 scanner around $280 I think at the time. (6 months ago).

John H
17-01-2005, 04:54 PM
John

It is an Epson perfection Photo 2480 scanner around $280 I think at the time. (6 months ago).

Kia ora Arnie - I will check it out. :thumbs:

Cheers
John

Catweazle
17-01-2005, 05:56 PM
I still use my Canon D1250UB scanner a reasonable amount, usually for scanning hand-drawn artwork although this is getting less since I got my tablet.

Agreed, they are brilliant for making archives of old family photos.

Now if I can just the scans of those $100 notes more authentic... :lol:

Murray P
17-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Use my scanner all the time, mainly for documents.

Because I opened my mouth over the recent Chrissy family thing, I've just been given a 12 of those yellow Kodak boxes of slides to scan, mid 1950's to mid 70's. That's about 288 slides, + or -. I've got a Canon 3000F with a film/slide adapter, I'll let you know how it goes John, although something tells me I'll be trundling down to the local photo/copy shop to get them scanned professionaly at reasonably high res then fiddle with them myself in Photoshop Elements.

Arnie
17-01-2005, 08:19 PM
John H.

Cancel that model, I had a senior moment ( i'm old enough to do so) at work.

I checked here at home and:

The scanner is a EPSOM 1670 PHOTO, the price was right,

Sorry about the confusion

Regards

Arnie :thumbs:

John H
18-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the info folks. Murray - it would be good to hear how you go, thanks. I hadn't heard of that model. And Arnie, I will look up that different model as well. Ta.

John

Ron24
18-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Arnie, a friend of mine has about 50 years worth of slides he wants to scan to digital media. Can you please let me know what model of scanner your son used - my friend has asked for my advice about slide scanners, and I only know of one (Pacific Image) which has not been much chop for either my son or me.

Thanks

John
The EpsonStylus Photo 830U will do slides and simple to use..Ron24

Ron24
18-01-2005, 11:15 AM
The EpsonStylus Photo 830U will do slides and simple to use..Ron24
Sorry this is the printer...Delete all reference to above..Ron24

bonzo29
18-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Anyone any experience of the Canon range of Lide of scanners?