PDA

View Full Version : Video Card - (Again)

Agent_24
16-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Ok, so my Eagle Ti4200 has finally died it seems....

(came back from dinner to a BSOD telling me that nv4_disp.dll was locked in a loop most likely due to failing hardware, So I restarted and monitor went into standby after loading windows (though post and such was fine)).

my computer also froze a week ago, and then the Bios did the "no video card detected" beep code, which was fixed after I took out the card and put it back in.

So because of that as well, I think its stuffed; and I was hoping someone can help me with the problem if getting a new one.

Basically I want a card that has the same performance (if not better) than my Ti, and not too expensive. I was thinking perhaps an FX5700, but i'm not sure how good these are so hopefully someone can help me here...

Speedy Gonzales
16-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Try removing the nvidia drivers in safe mode. If u can get into safe mode. A driver from this install maybe crashing the system.

If u can manage to get into windows after u uninstall the nvidia drivers, redownload the drivers and reinstall it. See what happens.

Hopefully, you downloaded the right drivers from the Nvidia site?

Agent_24
16-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Well this card has actually been going fine for about 1 1/2 years or so, but just recently its been having problems with BSOD's, and I remeber when I posted on here a while ago about the temperature, I was told that eagle was an unreliable brand.

I also want a new card because this one has problems with desert combat (some maps the ground texture is missing, you can see right through it) and on midtown madness the background is a mass of coloured polygons rather than the proper thing (I know of another case of this happening on someone else's Ti4200)

Prescott
16-01-2005, 09:11 PM
what about a 9800pro those are pretty good, what's your budget?

Zygar
16-01-2005, 09:39 PM
I also want a new card because this one has problems with desert combat (some maps the ground texture is missing, you can see right through it) Ti4200)
I had that, it was really annoying. I fixed it by reinstalling BF1942 and Desert Combat though.
Oh, by the way, get an AGP 6600GT, it's better than the 9800pro by a bit, and it's around the same price. Better value

Agent_24
16-01-2005, 11:10 PM
I've never touched ATi cards and I don't really want to - my friend's got two 9600's and they are poor for openGL and don't like Dos applications much either, would the 9800 be the same??

Even so, he got a Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB, and it's got good performance for games, and that was for $190.

Would it be possible to get an nVidia about the same performance for similar price?

the highlander
16-01-2005, 11:41 PM
I never use to like ati cards either, but I took the plunge with a 9600xt and have never looked back. Absolutely reliable and no issues with any games or applications that I have come across.

Agent_24
17-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Ok, I've found this Geforce 6600GT at this site: http://supercheappc.biz/site/product_info.php?products_id=1046

Reckon it's any good?

The rest seem to be all PCI-E which I don't have support for.

Zygar
17-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Yep, Sparkle are quite a reputable brand. I believe their 6600GT is based on the NVidia reference design, so it's all good. I wouldn't recommend using SuperCheapPC though, I've heard bad things about them.

Retailer: Super Cheap PC http://supercheappc.biz
Rating: Rubbish
Total cost of purchase: $600
Rating 0/10
Comments: About the only thing going for them is their prices. I have dealt with them on three separate occasions and every time they have stuffed something up. Firstly they sent me the wrong stock on my first order, and then completely messed up the returns process. They are still trying to bill me for products I never received.

On my next order they neglected to tell me something was out of stock for a week, and then gave me a bogus track & trace number to get rid of me.

In my last order, they did not answer any of my emails, and they certainly dont answer the phone. I sat on the phone for about 45 minutes and it just kept ringing.

When I finally received confirmation my order had been sent, they didn't include the suburb in my address, even though I had clearly advised this needed to be included. This resulted in the package going to the completely wrong address, and me wasting hours of my time chasing this up with Courier Post.

Do yourself a favour. Deal with Paradigm PC's. Super Cheaps prices aren't worth the hassle.

Prescott
17-01-2005, 10:02 PM
what are you going to do with your old 4200, agent_24? free to a good home is it? :p

Metla
17-01-2005, 10:22 PM
I've got one of them Sparkle cards, If others had been available at the time i wouldn't have got one though.

Sparkle have had in the past a name much like Eagle, However in a review i got hold of the build quality was rated higher then many name brands so it shows the pitfalls of being a brand snob.

The card performs near exactly on benchmarks as the test sites reported, Overall I'm perfectly happy with the card, Games have never looked so sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

(as to the mention of the Nvidia reference desighn,nearly all negative feedback about these cards has been due to the nVidia design having a poor method of attaching the cooling element,with the seal breaking from just handling the unit on some of the pci-e cards, then of course the card overheats.......)

Agent_24
17-01-2005, 11:26 PM
myself, I've bought quite a few things from supercheap and have not had any problems (though the same can't be said for the computer my friend got)
but if there's three things they should fix:

1) get a bigger shop
2) employ more people
3) find whoever assembles the computers they sell and fire them.

Anyway if you've ever been to their shop you will know why they don't answer the phone quickly.

well I checked out sparkle's website, and it seems and fair bit more decent than eagle's (not sure if that means anything, but anyway), and im pretty sure I'll get the card

Oh, and if you desperately want my Ti4200, you can probably have it - though I wouldn't recommend it.

Prescott
18-01-2005, 12:04 PM
for free why not :p