PDA

View Full Version : New Game locks up/reboots PC

Tony
16-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Last week I splashed out $19.95 on the Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring game.

Since then, that game, and another that had been working fine randomly locks up and/or reboots the PC. I've also had the dreaded BSOD with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL a couple of times.

I've searched the archive and could n't find anything that seemed to cover my situation. What I have done:

Uninstalled/reinstalled the video drivers
Downloaded/installed a game patch
Uninstalled the LOTR game
Googled around and not found anything that really helped.

Still having the problem

My system spec:
AMD AThlon 2200mhz
512mb RAM
Nvidia GEFORCE FX5200

Win XP Home with SP2

Tons of disk space.

All this is well above the system requirements on the box.

The video requirement is "GEForce 2 or greater". I'm assuming what I have is greater.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Prescott
16-01-2005, 09:15 PM
have you downloaded the latest drivers?

Tony
16-01-2005, 09:32 PM
As far as I can tell I have the latest Nvidia drivers - 66.93. (or 6.6.9.3 as MS reports them)

Prescott
16-01-2005, 09:40 PM
google seems to tell me that it is hardware related, and possibly the ram, i see you have 512mb of ram, try swapping the ram around and then test the game, might also pay to run memtest86. do you get this error message on other games?

Tony
16-01-2005, 11:00 PM
I've seen those references to hardware problems also. The reason I am dubious is that it has only started since I installed the LOTR game, and the other game has only misbehaved since then as well. I'll try and find the memtest though and give it a go.

Tony
22-01-2005, 12:00 PM
I am now of the opinion that the problem was due to a conflict between my Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro joystick and my video card, or my exactly to the fact that the game port was on-board rather than a separate card. Some stuff I found after googling around makes me think this, coupled with the fact that I removed the game controller and the system seems to have settled down.

I'll try connecting it again later, and see if the problem resurfaces.