PDA

View Full Version : Sony DSC-P93 sends photos twice!

Lockstock
16-01-2005, 07:11 PM
HI all,,,I have recently purchased a Sony DSC-P93 camera and installed the Sony Picture Package gear that came with it. Now, however, whenever I send photos , all my mail recipients are receiving the photos twice! (As in receiving 2 separate emails that are identical). It appears to be a problem when the file size is over 1MB or so. However, there is only ever one outgoing email showing in my Outlook outbox. Prior to this I was using a HP camera and never had this problem. I am not very computer literate so please excuse my ignorance on some jargon here! I am getting alot of abuse from friends receiving these pics twice, esp those with dial up only! Hoping it is a simple fix that I am unaware of and hoping someone can help.

Lockstock
16-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Unless it is something to do with Outlook and Picture Package both sending them? :help:

Jen
17-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Hi Lockstock

So this problems doesn't occur if the image is under 1 MB? I am completely unfamiliar with the "Picture Package" software, but if it can send images via email, there might be a setting in the software that splits the photo file if it is over X size which is going wrong? Perhaps take a look at the settings.

It might be easier to manually select and send your images via email. If they are over 1MB, then you should make sure they are in the jpg (jpeg) format and not bmp, and also resize the resolution of the image to reduce the file size down to something more manageable, say 350 KB maximum. Do you have any other graphic software that can handle image resizing? What OS do you use?

Lockstock
17-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Hi Jen...Im using XP. You will have to excuse me as I am not literate with computers at all! I store all my pics in "My pictures" and have been sending them manually from there with outlook express. When I have selected the pictures, it gives me the option "do you want to keep the original size or reduce the pic size?" or words to that effect. I have been reducing them to the "Medium" size and then sending them through Outlook. When I say it only happens only over 1MB, that might not be entirely true, I was trying to troubleshoot by sending a friend different sized pics and that was roughly what we determined.....hope this is of some use..??!

Lockstock
17-01-2005, 09:56 AM
I will do some experimentation later and get back to you tomorrow afternonn. Thanks for your reply Jen

Lockstock
20-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Hi Jen and any others...been experimenting this morning...if I reduce the photos to 1024x768 I can send 3 at that size in 1 email before they are sent twice, or alternatively I was able to send 4 pics at 800x600 and they are sent only once, if I send 5 or more at that size they are sent twice. Its only the receivers that receive them twice..I mean it only ever says in my Outlook Outbox that they have been sent once. I have only had this problem since taking photos on the 5 Megapixel setting of my new camera. I could send unlimited, large photos before with my 2.1 megapixel camera without this problem occuring. Hope someone can tell me how to change these settings or to fix this problem. Regards.

Graham L
20-01-2005, 01:19 PM
I suspect your friends have been a bit over-polite if you have been in the habit of sending them multi-megabyte pictures. Now you want to send them 5MB pictures. :eek: They have complained because they have been getting them twice. A few of these could fill their mail storage space.

I'd suspect that they would be much happier to get pictures of reasonable size. A JPG file can be compressed down quite considerably and still look perfectly acceptable on the screen.

Lockstock
20-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks Graham.

As I have said, I am not very computer literate at all, I am asking for some help in how to change the settings so that I can send them smaller and want to know why my computer is sending them twice when it didnt do this previously even if I had sent large pictures (which incidentally my friends requested that I send the pictures in a large size). All I want to know is if there a setting somewhere that I can change so that if I do want or need to send large photos or multiple attachments, that it wont send them twice!

Cheers.

Jen
20-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Bit of a long shot Lockstock, but are your recipients receiving complete emails twice (each with a normal viewable picture), or are they getting duplicate emails in parts which are not viewable? If it is the later, your OE might be splitting the large files automatically and the recipients email clients are not reassembling them back into one email when both pieces are received.

Have a look under OE Tools > Accounts > then select your account > Mail > Properties > Advanced. Uncheck "Break apart messages larger than ..." and try re-sending an email with the images which previously did arrive in the recipients inbox in duplication.

Lockstock
20-01-2005, 11:06 PM
Thanks Jen. I have done as you suggested but that box was already unchecked. I believe everyone has been receiving the same email in full in duplicate. As I say, it obly ever shows as having being sent once though in my OE outbox! Frustrating! :illogical

FoxyMX
21-01-2005, 01:46 PM
I had a go at sending myself two 1.2MB photos and Outlook Express appeared to time out and not send them so I tried another couple of times with the same result. Nothing appeared in the Sent folder and the email stayed in the Outbox.

Five minutes later they all started to arrive in the Inbox... :eek:

Maybe Outlook Express does not like sending emails with large images attached as a couple of smaller files under 1MB total went through normally with no problems.

My suggestion is to send your photos in as small a file size as you can get away with. Remember that five megapixel photos are huge so reducing them down to 800 x 600 ought to be quite sufficient and would result in much smaller files to send. I would also be inclined to try and keep the total file size sent under 1MB to avoid the problem you have been having. Otherwise it appears that there is little else you can do.