PDA

View Full Version : Windows pop-up

mick
16-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Hi when I start my xp computer a pop-up comes up as soon as my desktop loads, don't know if it's important or how to stop it.

c:\windows\system32\de32gen.exe
Windows cannot find c:\windows\system32\de32gen.exe Make sure you typed the name correctly,and then try again. To seach for a file,click the Start button and then click Seach OK

The only way to move this message is to click OK then up pops another message.

Could not load or run c;\windows\system32\de32gen.exe specified in the registry. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the registry OK. After I click OK I can use computer. I don't know much about the registry, any help please.
Mick

bartsdadhomer
16-01-2005, 05:49 PM
It looks like a remnant of the CRYPTER.C Trojan.
You have probably cleaned the trojan out with anivirus or spyware software but the startup references have been left behind
Go to start > run & type msconfig then hit the ok, go to the startup tab look for de32gen.exe & untick it.
Restart the computer.
Then run a full system scan with adaware, spybot & your antivirus
You can also delete the entry from startup with spybots advanced tools

francisco
31-01-2005, 04:38 PM
when i type in msconfig, i get another pop-up : "Windows cannot find 'msconfig'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

This message also appears whenever I click*2 on any applications.

Rob99
31-01-2005, 04:42 PM
What OS are you using?