PDA

View Full Version : Webpage scrollbar problem

Adam678
16-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Hi, I recently designed a website and it was my first attempt so I was not 100% sure of what I was doing and after a few weeks of practice I made this site, www.flash-gaming.tk , I cant really find many faults with the site, its pretty basic, but there is an issue that is really bugging me, its not a major thing but I just can not fix it never mind what I do!

The problem is the horizontal scroll bar that appears when you click on "videos" for example, it does not need to be there and I donít no how to get rid of it. I no this is not a major problem but I would appreciate the help cos it is really bugging me! :illogical

cheers! :cool:

p.s. I used Dreamweaver MX 2004 if that helps?

:rolleyes:

moldboy
16-01-2005, 08:27 AM
I can honestly say I don't know what scroll bar you speak of

Mike
16-01-2005, 08:34 AM
remove the "scrolling=auto" and change to "scrolling=no" out of your index.html (or whatever it is called) - the one that calls the frames. Problem with doing that though is that if you have a frame that is longer than the allowable frame, then it won't have a scrollbar. There may be a way to set something like scrolling=verticle, but I don't think its a standard html setting...

Mike.

Adam678
16-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Tried changing to "scrolling=no" and it didnt work, there was no scroll bars at all. then I changed it to scrolling=yes and that just left the vertical scroll bar! problem solved! at last :)

thanks mike!

Greg
16-01-2005, 11:02 AM
I can't see any horizontal scroll bar either - Netscape 7.2.

Tip: ditch the frames

Mike
16-01-2005, 11:28 AM
I can't see any horizontal scroll bar either - Netscape 7.2.

I had to shrink my window down quite small before it appeared.

I agree though, ditch the frames.

Tried changing to "scrolling=no" and it didnt work, there was no scroll bars at all. then I changed it to scrolling=yes and that just left the vertical scroll bar! problem solved! at last :)

thanks mike!

No worries - I thought something like that might work.

Mike.

ninja
16-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Yeah... frames bite.

Also, there is an awful lot of flash on that site.

Adam678
16-01-2005, 11:59 AM
I dont really see the frames as a problem, I just found it easier to construct using frames, not bad for a first attempt, is it? :thumbs:

I thought I did quite well :rolleyes:

moldboy
16-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Now not bad at all for a first try. but I have to scroll for some of the links and I can only do that with a 3 button mouse, and it messes up the graphics.

Might I recomend iframe for next time?

Mike
16-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Now not bad at all for a first try. but I have to scroll for some of the links and I can only do that with a 3 button mouse, and it messes up the graphics.

Might I recomend iframe for next time?

You're kidding right? I've never heard of anyone ever recommend iframes before :) In fact, I don't think I've seen a page with iframes for about 5 years!

Mike.

FoxyMX
17-01-2005, 10:39 AM
I thought I did quite well
It isn't bad for a first try but you might like to check your site out in Opera and Firefox to see how differently it displays compared to in Internet Explorer. ;)

Zippity
17-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Any web page that adds "pop-up" windows to my PC never gets a second visit :(

moldboy
17-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Well in this case I would build the navigation and banner on one page. Then in the middle of that page put an ifram with a name and tell all the links to open in that frame. But besure to tell all the extenral links (ones that when to say google) to be target="_top"

And as far as actual pages, any page that has a sitebar (sitebar.org) most likly uses iframe. Dynamic Drive has a nifty automatic resizer script that will change the size of the iframe depending on the size of the content. I also find it easier to embed things like nav bars and heavly scripted elements into pages using an iframe, so as to not mess up the pages other scripts, and it is easier to remove. There is also the login page for Gmail, and most google ads function much like an iframe, they are actualy JS frames, but behave the same way.

Adam678
19-01-2005, 06:40 AM
Take a look now, I got rid of the frames and gave it a makeover!

Any web page that adds "pop-up" windows to my PC never gets a second visit :(

I can't do anything about the pop ups, I suppose thats what you get with free domain names :mad:

FoxyMX
19-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Take a look now, I got rid of the frames and gave it a makeover!
That's quite nice in Internet Explorer but all I get is the source page when trying to open it in both Opera and Firefox.

Serious webmasters always check their work in multiple browsers and get all their pages validated by the W3C Markup Validation Service (http://validator.w3.org/). ;)

Adam678
19-01-2005, 10:19 AM
hmmm, I donít really no what you mean or what to do, I created the site in php instead of html cos that was the format the web template came in, whether that matters or not I don't no :illogical

what do I need to do to make it display properly on all browsers?

:)

Thanks

Rob99
19-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Simply put if your host does not support php you can not make your pages in php

Adam678
19-01-2005, 10:41 AM
I just store the pages on the free ftp space AOL gives, :cool:

Rob99
19-01-2005, 10:46 AM
You should be able to change them back to html easily with dreamweaver

Rob99
19-01-2005, 10:49 AM
Alternatvly find a free php host

Adam678
19-01-2005, 11:28 AM
It is going to be a big job changing all the pages to html, I think I will just leave it as it is, nearly everyone uses internet explorer to view webpages, and its only an amateurish site, its nothing big scale so it does not need to be 100% perfect, and I can't be arsed spending hours changing all the pages from php to html and re linking the whole thing.

moldboy
19-01-2005, 02:18 PM
About the popups in the .tk control panel you can tell it not to display the popups or alternativatly what banner to show!

Rob99
19-01-2005, 02:58 PM
OK your site does not work with template 010 in firefox but if you go to where you got the template from it clearly works in firefox, altho it looks completly html.

Rob99
19-01-2005, 03:03 PM
And looking at the code right at the end you have some javascript outside the html tags, I tested this by removing the javascript webcounter and it worked in firefox.

Looks all you have to do is place the javascript for the webcounter inside the html tags or delete it altogeather.

BTW smart people dont touch IE

Mike
19-01-2005, 05:51 PM
BTW smart people dont touch IE

I take it think I'm not smart? :@@:

Mike.

Rob99
19-01-2005, 06:09 PM
I take it think I'm not smart? :@@:

Mike.Yes :D

ps. Please take no offence as I am joking

Mike
19-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Yes :D

ps. Please take no offence as I am joking

gee thanks :p

Mike.

Adam678
20-01-2005, 05:27 AM
Okay, I removed the statscounter code from the end, does it work now?

Another thing, is there anyway I can make another webpage display INSIDE my webpage without using frames, if that makes any sense. I would like the guestbook to open in the main part of the webpage instead of bringing up a new window, before when I used frames I could make it so it actually opened in the main frame of the website. but because it is just a link to a freeguestbook site it now opens in a new window, is there anything I can do.

I donít think that made any sense, but if it did I would greatly appreciate your help.

Adam678
20-01-2005, 05:43 AM
nope, still does not work, I have just tested it in firefox

Adam678
20-01-2005, 05:52 AM
If I drag a php page from my desktop into the firefox browser it works

moldboy
20-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Okay, I removed the statscounter code from the end, does it work now?

Another thing, is there anyway I can make another webpage display INSIDE my webpage without using frames, if that makes any sense. I would like the guestbook to open in the main part of the webpage instead of bringing up a new window, before when I used frames I could make it so it actually opened in the main frame of the website. but because it is just a link to a freeguestbook site it now opens in a new window, is there anything I can do.

I donít think that made any sense, but if it did I would greatly appreciate your help.

To the best of my knoledge you can't without using frames, but if you wanted to use iframe's then it might work:
1) make a new page and call it the guestbook.
2) in the body of this page insert the following code...

<iframe width="the width of the section you want to use" src="the guestbook address" target="_top">
that should work
or optionaly omit the target top part.

Adam678
21-01-2005, 06:30 AM
Wow, it worked, thanks moldboy :thumbs: