PDA

View Full Version : Weird image corruption

Greg
14-01-2005, 04:12 PM
My eldest daughter sent me some photos from her wedding recently, and they've got some strange lines in them. I'm wondering if it's from her side or mine.

They were sent within a Word document (she's not Net savvy, and uses local library for Internet access over there in Melbourne).

I extracted the pictures and saved them as .jpeg's. While viewing them within the doc they're fine, but all reproductions have these strange horizontal and vertical lines in them.

Example image is linked below (yes those are my three daughters... excuse me for being a proud dad!). The lines are easily discernable. What's caused them?

Thx for any insight.

Reduced size image here. 56 KB (http://www.zu.co.nz/images/lovelys.jpg)

I use Word from Office 2003, and Win XP Pro SP1

Rob99
14-01-2005, 04:21 PM
What method did you use to extract them

Greg
14-01-2005, 04:29 PM
What method did you use to extract them

Right-click, save as

Rob99
14-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Wow that must be new for 2003, as I cant do that on OfficeXP. Maybe it is a word compatibly problem.

I would turn off all the tool/status bars and view the page at 300% or what ever gives you the lagest view of each image on screen, then do a snapshot, and paste into your graphics editor.

godfather
14-01-2005, 05:21 PM
I can't do that on Word 2003...

There are too many variables here, as we don't know how the pictures were inserted into the Word document, versions etc.

But right click - save as is not (to my knowledge) a universally supported function to "extract" an image from a Word document. I have seen some other very bad corruptions when trying to extract an image from Word. Right-click -Copy and then Paste into an image editor works, but the colour depth is drastically cut in my experience.

Jen
14-01-2005, 05:27 PM
I noticed in the jpg exif attributes of that image, this "Creator: PolyView® Version 3.85 by Polybytes - Quality: 85". Is it possible this graphic software is corrupting the images? I can only guess that it is PolyView which is allowing you to extract the image out of the Word Doc if other's cannot do it natively with Word 2003.

godfather
14-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Try this:
http://www.gmayor.com/extract_images_from_word.htm

Scouse
14-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Hi Greg. The picture actually looks quite good from here with just a couple of faults to my old eyes. A few moments with almost any of the standard graphics packages should touch that up. My view is HERE (http://www.sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/ladies1.jpg)

Following on from what GF has said, I regularly use Snagit for taking graphics or extracts from Word documents, and even used to use it for taking .pdf document copies and extracts before buying Adobe Acrobat.
:cool:

Agent_24
14-01-2005, 09:50 PM
I've seen this before:

1) A few times with the background images in game installers; NOLF2, Freespace 2, also one of the Star Wars games.

2) when an image was inserted into a slideshow using corel presentations 9.

Never worked out why it happened, but possibly some sort of resizing problem?

godfather
14-01-2005, 10:12 PM
For those that have not bothered to read the link posted the cause is:

"Once an image is included in a Word document (as opposed to being linked to it), it becomes part of that document and there is no way of extracting that image for re-use, while it remains part of that document. You can, however, save the image as a web page, which will separate the component parts out of the document as files (from Word 2000 on)."

So the answer is fairly simple, and the corruption will be coming from the attempt to claw the image from Word coding.

Greg
15-01-2005, 01:40 AM
Thanks very much people - all sorted.