PDA

View Full Version : How to install Knoppix Live CD onto a hard drive

chiefnz
14-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Hi guys, I have downloaded Knoppix 3.7 from the JSG realm. I have run the CD and I really like it, to my surprise it supports the NTFS filesystem, I can see my NTFS partitions "straight out of the box" so to speak.

What I would like to do now is install Knoppix onto my hard drive, but I can't seem to find any command that allows me to do this. I have tried using the "expert" command at install but it doesn't let me configure much.

I would really like to be able to configure some of my hardware, particularly my sound card and graphics card. The sound card is detected but is not enabled as the module path is not defined?

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

chiefnz

beama
14-01-2005, 12:24 PM
try here
http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

chiefnz
14-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Thanks for that,I'll give it a try when I get home from work later.

cheers

chiefnz

ninja
14-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Unless they've updated it in the last week, the HD installer script doesn't work properly for Serial ATA drives. The installer appears to work, however on reboot the kernel panics because the module it needs to access the SATA drive doesn't load. At least in my experience.

There is an option to download the latest hd installation script from the net which may be worth a try as they might've fixed it, I can't remember the filename, but if you tye "kn" then hit TAB twice it should be obvious.

chiefnz
14-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Unless they've updated it in the last week, the HD installer script doesn't work properly for Serial ATA drives. The installer appears to work, however on reboot the kernel panics because the module it needs to access the SATA drive doesn't load. At least in my experience.

There is an option to download the latest hd installation script from the net which may be worth a try as they might've fixed it, I can't remember the filename, but if you tye "kn" then hit TAB twice it should be obvious.

Yeah, thanks ninja, I am actually installing it onto a 20GB Samsung IDE hard drive, I"m not installing it on to the SATA drives.. would that still pose a problem?

cheers

chiefnz

ninja
14-01-2005, 06:13 PM
As far as I'm aware should be schweet

i-gordon
14-01-2005, 08:36 PM
I installed Knoppix 3.3 to a hard drive from instructions I found on the net. Everything worked OK but I was Dissapointed with the result. The system is ultra secure, you have to keep logging in as root just to perform even the simplest task, after a while it drives you nuts. I uninstalled it after 2 days.

Prescott
14-01-2005, 08:43 PM
I installed Knoppix 3.3 to a hard drive from instructions I found on the net. Everything worked OK but I was Dissapointed with the result. The system is ultra secure, you have to keep logging in as root just to perform even the simplest task, after a while it drives you nuts. I uninstalled it after 2 days.

thats the point of having to use root, you will have to use it when you need to change important system settings, if you are not carefull you can do some serious damage, thats why you have seperate accounts that "restrict" you in some ways

Jen
14-01-2005, 08:57 PM
The system is ultra secure, you have to keep logging in as root just to perform even the simplest task, after a while it drives you nuts. I uninstalled it after 2 days.This is the whole beauty of Linux, security :D

If you need to perform a task which requires root powers, it really easy to whip open a terminal window and su - to root, do the task and then exit the terminal window and you're done. If you prefer a GUI to work with, it is also really easy to open Nautilis or Konqueror from a root terminal by just entering their name. The new window that opens has full root powers.

You should never have to actually log in as root onto a desktop environment. I've only had to do this a couple of times last year, and that was when I was bug hunting and wanted to see the desktop/KDE as a different user.

i-gordon
14-01-2005, 09:06 PM
I am pleased that it keeps all you linux experts happy., but for learners like me that like to fiddle with things and learn a bit I dont need a secure system, I dont care much if I do wreck it I just try and fix it or reinstall it.

Prescott
14-01-2005, 09:15 PM
me?? linux expert?? good one :thumbs: :p

beama
14-01-2005, 09:26 PM
found these instruction on how to install Knoppix to hard drive. I think they are clearer and more detailed than my previous one.
http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/debian-knoppix.html

i-gordon
14-01-2005, 09:42 PM
found these instruction on how to install Knoppix to hard drive. I think they are clearer and more detailed than my previous one.

Scroll down the page and the instructions are there to avoid the problems that I had.

chiefnz
15-01-2005, 09:33 AM
I am pleased that it keeps all you linux experts happy., but for learners like me that like to fiddle with things and learn a bit I dont need a secure system, I dont care much if I do wreck it I just try and fix it or reinstall it.

I'm a learner to, and I fiddle all the time, I've installed and un-installed Linux over and over again... problem is I can never leave it for too long. As far as Jen's point regarding a secure system that's the whole idea behind Linux. It' sort of stops people who don't know your system or don't know what they're doing from causing any damage and if they do, the system won't work or you as the system owner will know it's been tampered with.

Personally I'd prefer a secure system to a user friendly one....ease of use doesn't necessarily mean hassle free use, but that goes for a secure system as well.... you don't want it to bloody hard to use....

cheers

chiefnz

chiefnz
16-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Ok I followed the instructions but when I run the bit where it says...

run knx-hdinstall... which is supposed to be in /usr/local/bin

I get a message which says file or directory not found, I went to the directory and there's nothing in /usr/local/bin?

Anyone have any ideas....

If it helps I downloaded Knoppix from the JSG server.

cheers

chiefnz

ninja
16-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Just type kn then press the TAB key twice, it'll tell you what files are available. It's been renamed to something like knoppix-hdinstaller or something to that effect.

chiefnz
16-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Just type kn then press the TAB key twice, it'll tell you what files are available. It's been renamed to something like knoppix-hdinstaller or something to that effect.

Thanks ninja that worked a treat, command turned out to be "knx2hd"

Anyways so I have Knoppix installed but there are a few things that need to be cleared up.

1) it's running in console mode, if I want the GUI interface, I have to run the "init 5" command.

2) I got no sound at all, system tells me it has detected a SB Audigy card but sound modules aren't loaded.

3) I ran "apt-get update" but does this command actually update your installation if not how do I do it.

I like the way Knoppix looks and I think I may have found a distro that I am going to stick with... the best part of it is that I can access my NTFS partitions... woot!!!!!!!!!

Any advice will be appreciated

cheers

chiefnz

ninja
16-01-2005, 06:59 PM
2) I got no sound at all, system tells me it has detected a SB Audigy card but sound modules aren't loaded.Weird... it _should_ work, make sure the volumes are up on the mixers (as these seem to be at 0 by default.

3) I ran "apt-get update" but does this command actually update your installation if not how do I do it.This updates the package list, then run
apt-get install package-name
or
apt-get upgrade

Which ISP are you with as you should be able to use NZ mirrors for Debian packages. However the official mirror can't be accessed via some ISP's (those that don't peer).

chiefnz
16-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Yeah thanks again ninja, I'm with Quicksilver (2Mb, 10GB)

It kinda sucks my sound doesn't work cos all my music is on my NTFS drives.

I'll give it a try and see what happens

cheers

chiefnz

personthingy
16-01-2005, 10:28 PM
I installed Knoppix 3.3 to a hard drive from instructions I found on the net. Everything worked OK but I was Dissapointed with the result. The system is ultra secure, you have to keep logging in as root just to perform even the simplest task, after a while it drives you nuts. I uninstalled it after 2 days.I-gordon, if you are happy to take the risk that you might accidentally do damage, then run perminantly as root, but make at least one user account for guests or anyone else that you may share the computer with. That way you can make and break things to your hearts content, :rolleyes: but others can't!

:D

i-gordon
17-01-2005, 08:28 AM
I-gordon, if you are happy to take the risk that you might accidentally do damage, then run perminantly as root, but make at least one user account for guests or anyone else that you may share the computer with. That way you can make and break things to your hearts content, :rolleyes: but others can't!

:D
I am sole user on my comp. I have no need to be protected from myself.
Secure is great if it protects you from hackers and other users etc. I just get brassed off with all the message windows that pop up. (you dont have permission to do this, that and the other action). My first experience of Knoppix on the hard drive was not good for a newbie. I must have typed in my password at least 25 times in the first hour just to do things I can do in Xandros in a fraction of the time and enter the password 2 or 3 times.

Ian

chiefnz
17-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Hell yeah!!!

Well the sound is going... I don't know how... I just decided to run xmms and my tunes came through. I am still getting the same message when I try to run sndconfig though. At this stage it suits me fine, all I wanted was to be able to play my music.

Just busy doing the whole "apt-get upgrade" thingy, system is currently installing all the upgrades.

1) How do I get the speaker icon in the system tray, at the moment I have the big mixer bar.... it's taking up too much space, I would prefer the speaker icon only. I've had a look around but can't find any sort of setting.

2) How do I change my display driver, I can't actually see which driver is being used, from memory when I installed, it was using a generic VESA driver, at startup though the system says "unknown vendor" for the graphics card. It's not a big deal but if I can get a better driver that would be cool.

Thanks for all your help ninja.

PS: i-gordan.... I haven't had to enter a root password over and over again. However I suspect it's because I've started updating the system from scratch and not do each thing 1 by 1... is that what you were doing... individual updating? I really like the look and feel of the Knoppix system... really smooth and all the things I had a hard time doing with other distros are breeze with Knoppix. Having my NTFS disks recognised and being able to play mp3's from the start is a big bonus. It leaves me more time to explore the power and versatility of the Knoppix system.

cheers

chiefnz

Ralph Barke
09-02-2005, 05:23 PM
No problem! Just log in as root and be done with it. (Of course you throw away a lot of perfectly good security, but you won't have that annoying prompt for the root password)
Cheers!