PDA

View Full Version : Cant Delete email

dzina
14-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Hi,

I have an email in Outlooks outbox that i cant delete. It has a HUGE attachment (50MB :( - dont ask!!) and just sits there. If i try to delete it it just does nothing. I cant move it to another folder or anything. If i try to open or access the options it tells me the MAPI spooler is sending the message (which it doesnt as we are on Jetstream and connected all day so even 50mb should leave sooner or later!!).

I have tried to delete as soon as i open Outlook, no good. I have tried safe mode, nothing. I have tried disconnecting from the net (work) and still cant delete the message. Even a restart and theabove does nothing.

I am using XP Pro and Office 2000 workgroup.

I have an idea that if i kill the MAPI spooler process then i should be able to delete the message but dont know the name of the process to kill off.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Cheers

Rob99
14-01-2005, 11:41 AM
You mention Outlook, just wondering if it was outlook express?

dzina
14-01-2005, 12:47 PM
No it is 100% Outlook. If OE I would just have deleted the outbox DBX file. Outlook has it all bundled in the PST file so cant (that i know of) delete just the outbox.

4bes
14-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Have a look at the last post on this (http://www.talkroot.com/archivee/index.php/t-32960__mail_stuck_in_Outbox_-_outlook_2002.html) thread.

dzina
18-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the link but that post is about 2003. I have 2000 and cant access the options as mentioned in the post.

Still cant figure it out - if anyone else has any ideas i would love to hear.

Jen
18-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Try killing the MAPI spooling process like you suggested. Right click on a spare bit of task bar and select Task Manager. Under processes look for "mapisp32.exe". Click on it and then select end task. Then go and try to delete the email.

drcspy
18-01-2005, 08:34 AM
restart in safe mode and try deleting it from there.........

dzina
18-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Hi Jen,

There is no process of that name. I think killing the process is the best way but have a feeling there is something more at play. I have set Outlook to NOT send and receive on startup hoping to catch it before the sending commences but still no luck. I almost think the spooler is damaged (if that is possible??) and is not functioning/locked on. As i said it is a big attachment but even 65MB should send after a while (we are online all day connected with Jetstream).

Drcspy - have done safe mode with no different results.

Is there a way of removing the outbox from the PST file and if so will it rebuild itself as OE's dbx files do??

Safari
18-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Outlook 2000 stores all your messages and folders in a single file ending with a .PST extension, usually OUTLOOK.PST
Bear in mind size limit for one PST is 2GB

Try a repair
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010549311033.aspx

Jen
18-01-2005, 11:12 AM
As i said it is a big attachment but even 65MB should send after a while (we are online all day connected with Jetstream).That file is too big to send via email regardless of your internet connection type as your ISP and the senders ISP will not accept a single file this size (most have 10 MB max).

Is there a way of removing the outbox from the PST file and if so will it rebuild itself as OE's dbx files do??Have a work through the suggestions given here - How to troubleshoot mail stuck in the Outbox in Outlook 2000 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/195922) - but follow the Corporate Workgroup installation (CW) suggestions as that is what you said you use (Office 2000 workgroup).

dzina
18-01-2005, 11:40 AM
I know itís too big to send (the sender does now too!!) but it should still send (as in leave thecomputer) and will bounce when it hits the ISP's mail servers.

The fact it wont leave the outbox 9send) is the problem. I will check out the MS help. I searched but didnít find that particular page - thanks