PDA

View Full Version : D.S.E. TV/FM tuner

gradebdan
13-01-2005, 02:50 PM
I am interested in one of these that I saw at the local store ($94). Just wondered if it was as good as it seems. Has any one had any experience?

ninja
13-01-2005, 03:20 PM
I have a TV Tuner card, not a DSE one though.

They work fine, some have issues with some graphics cards/chipsets. They also require a very strong aerial signal/feed.

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Yeah, they're good... Based on the saa7134 philips chipset and have great linux support ;)

Jen
13-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Is this the one here (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH6765)? It has been marked down and is only $68 now!

I have this TV tuner card, and the supplied aerial isn't that great for reception (it is one of those single pole expanding thingies) and doesn't reach too far when plugged into the aerial jack at the back of the computer. The card itself is good, but I only run it under Linux so cannot comment too much on the supplied software. I have briefly checked it out under XP, and it seemed very user friendly. It also has a remote control. :)

For that price it is a bargin. :D

andy
13-01-2005, 05:22 PM
I have two of these (DSE XH6765) and they perform well, 1 under under Win XP and the other under Win 98se. I had trouble trying to tune into TV1 (Channel 1) as the tuner didn't want to go to a low-enough frequency, but the upgraded software driver on the DSE site solved this. The software that comes with it allows you to record tv like a normal VCR, and also to time-slip (start watching before recording has finished). It also works well as a video capture card, with editing software supplied. I have copied video tapes to both Video disc (CD) and DVD using it and the results were great. One problem is file sizes. You really need to have an NTFS setup and a large hard drive, as the files get real big real quick! At the current price ($68) you really can't lose - note though that only the following stores have stock: Albany, Papakura, Pukekohe, Talk Time 2000 Ltd - Taupo, Featherston Street)

Elephant
13-01-2005, 06:51 PM
I have the DSE XH6766 and this works fine on my XP SP2 setup.

I actually changed the drivers supplied by DSE to different ones and the results were better.

Can record TV but you will have to check on file sizes. The video sizes add up real quick.

Happy with my one.

gradebdan
13-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Hi Just noticed the different part no.s The one I was looking at had the part no xh6861. Do not know if this has diff. specs

Jen
13-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Hi Just noticed the different part no.s The one I was looking at had the part no xh6861. Do not know if this has diff. specsAh, I just looked at the tuner cards for that price and assumed it was the XH6765. You were meaning this one (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH6861) instead. Not quite sure what the v2 is (version two?).

What did you need the card to be able to do?

gradebdan
13-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Generally to check tv. also to play fm as I tend to use the pc for home entertainment and I think I shall be upgrading to a dvd r soon which will enable meto sometimes record the rare tv program that is worth recording.

Elephant
13-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Generally to check tv. also to play fm as I tend to use the pc for home entertainment and I think I shall be upgrading to a dvd r soon which will enable meto sometimes record the rare tv program that is worth recording.

This card should do it. Please note the warning that you might want it linked to an outdoor TV antenna. My card is and I have no problem as stated before.

Get new Lifeview drivers as well is my advice.

Cryhavoc
16-01-2005, 12:07 PM
If I got one of those cards, would it be compatible with my Radeon 9600 Pro? Would there be any conflicts?

Chilling_Silence
16-01-2005, 01:16 PM
There shouldnt be, they're generally pretty happy little buggers.

Capture is good, no complaints there, my linux software allowed me to schedule the resolution, time start/finish etc and it was quite good :) I didnt get an antennae but hooked it up to a mates SkyTV external one for a while and the quality was perfect. Using a cheap DSE $20 one now thats above my room, and its acceptable quality.

This is likely due to my positioning however that its not perfect.

Good cards, well worth the minor investment!

bothspier
19-03-2005, 05:34 PM
hi, I have the XH6861 TV/FM card and while it works to a point, the software is rubbish. I can't get the scheduler recording to work without lots of work arounds and the remote interface doesn't function at all.

Has anyone had any problems with this and maybe found some better software that works ?? I'm pretty sure it's all software related :(

Chilling_Silence
20-03-2005, 02:26 AM
Greetings and Welcome to PressF1.

Ive used the software that came with it for only 10 mins to try xbox capture when I threw it in my mates PC. Yes the software is crap but I use Tvtime in Linux so Im happy :)

Never tried the remote, have no need....

Radio works well too, but havent tried Teletext.

Any "generic" style software should suffice for capture.

Cheers

Chill.

Alan Cotrell
20-03-2005, 03:55 AM
That model DSE TV Tuner is actually a rebranded Flyview Platinum.

Flyview have updated Tuner software available from this link'
http://www.lifeview.com.tw/html/downloads/video_card/flytv_platinum.htm

Well worth getting as there is a significant interface improvement over the bundled older software.

Regards

AC