PDA

View Full Version : USB flash drive not working

colmack
12-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Recently one of my USB flash drives has stopped appearing in My Computer when I plug it in, making it useless. Has it died, or is there something I can do?

EX-WESTY
12-01-2005, 10:31 PM
What operating system are you using?

Do other USB devices still work in that port?

Have you tried it in another port?

How old is it? some have a ten year warrenty but not if you put it through the wash in your jeans pocket...

somebody
13-01-2005, 08:12 AM
Does the little green (or whatever colour) led on the drive itself come on when you plug it in? Are you plugging into a front-usb port or a hub or something similar? If so, try plugging it into one of the ports which is directly on the motherboard and see what happens.

It could also be possible that someone has accidentally disabled USB in your BIOS.

Brain_Cell_Anon
13-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Dear somebody.
Sorry but "It could also be possible that someone has accidentally disabled USB in your BIOS." is a bit like saying some one accidentally picked up your car keys, drove 120kms to the sea side, accidentally set light to it then accidentally pushed it in to the sea! My question would be... How would he get home?

Now colmack,
I also kept getting this problem with my SSD, but eventually found out that even though there were drivers avaliable for the OS (even contacted the manufacturers, very, very helpfull drivers and all), it was just this one machine. However, I did then cheat slightly and get a PCI USB card. Seemed to do the trick.
Other OSs were fine with it!!

Regards,

The Cell

ninja
13-01-2005, 08:53 AM
is a bit like saying some one accidentally picked up your car keys, drove 120kms to the sea side, accidentally set light to it then accidentally pushed it in to the sea!
I don't see why you'd push it into the sea after setting it alight, as that would extinguish the flames. :confused:

theother1
13-01-2005, 09:11 AM
I don't see why you'd push it into the sea after setting it alight, as that would extinguish the flames. :confused:
And if you were going to set it alight why drive it to the sea in the first place?

I read in another thread somewhere here in the last few days about someone reformatting a "thumb drive". Maybe that might be of help to our original postee.

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2005, 11:34 AM
I would be inclined to check and make sure there's no devices conflicting in the Device Manager. That and if running WinXP/2k, right-click on My Computer and choose Manage. Click on Disk Management. See if your drive is there. If it is then try assigning it another drive letter.

somebody
13-01-2005, 05:34 PM
It is a possiblity - esp. in households with more than one computer user.

colmack
13-01-2005, 06:38 PM
OK, sorry, I should have given more information in the first posting.

1 I use XP (home) with SP2, and I have had no (other) problems
2 A different flash drive works normally using the same port
3 The USB port is direct to the computer via an extension lead to the back (but not via a hub)
4 The USB drive in question does not work (same symptoms, ie does not appear in 'My Computer') on two different computers
5 However, the LED light does come on
6 No-one other than me has access to my computer
7 It's less than 1 year old, however I bought it overseas (I know, so I probably deserve all I get...)

Any suggestions now?

Speedy Gonzales
13-01-2005, 06:54 PM
If the USB drive doesnt work in 2 other PC's it sounds like its dead.

And if another USB drive works in the same port, then the USB port is OK.

colmack
13-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Hmm, I was afraid of that. Thought it was worth a try though... thanks for your help anyway.

somebody
13-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Has your USB flash drive undergone any potential physical damage? I accidentally put mine through the wash, and miraculously it still worked.

Alpha
13-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Have you recently mapped a network drive to these computers? Windows XP will fail to map the device to a drive if there are no drive letters available before the first mapped network drive (i.e. a network drive has been mapped to D or E). Try unmapping any network drives and re-inserting the USB flash drive.