PDA

View Full Version : Has something died?

PeterE
12-01-2005, 06:48 PM
I was playing a vcd on WinXP Home-SP2, when the pc crashed (stopped running) and the system boot-up numbers scrolled on the screen. Then the screen went blank.

I tried a re-boot, nothing. I tried a boot from the Win XP cd, nothing, although the cd drive did briefly 'spin up'.

All I can get is the "Off in 5-seconds" on the screen.
Has my Hard Drive died? How can I check to be sure.

ps, I also have two 80-Gig drives in a RAID setup as drive E:\ but of course I am unable to access this drive without the main drive C:\ starting first.

pps, I looked for the FAQs that we had on the 'old Press F1' but couldn't find them. What has become of this wealth of knowledge?

PeterE.

Growly
12-01-2005, 07:57 PM
When you say reboot, then nothing, do you mean that you press the reset button and absolutely nothing happens, or that the PC loads to Windows and crashes?

Is the screen you mention part of Windows?

Does the BIOS POST? (Do you hear any beeps?) Do the fans spin? Do the lights go?

~sy~
12-01-2005, 09:04 PM
This is kind of a stupid idea, but have you tried unplugging the computer from the power and leaving it alone for a while? Maybe energy would be restored ;)

When you say you reboot and then 'nothing' do you mean the computer doesn't start up? Does it beep as normal after the memory count? Does it detect the CD-Rom and HDD in the BIOS?

PeterE
12-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the replys.

When I press the Power switch on the case, the fans run ok, the lights on the DVD & CD writer drives both flicker for a while. Nothing 'beeps'. No BIOS displayed.

That's it. No keyboard lights. Nothing on the CRT screen. I don't have a 'Reset' button, so I hold the Power switch in until the power goes off.
Then press the Power button again (after a short period of time) to try to start the PC again.

I did turn the power off at the wall for a short while as I checked the conections but nothing changed. I could leave the beast turned 'off' overnight at the wall, to see if anything reawakes in the morning.

Peter.

PeterE
13-01-2005, 06:10 PM
I turned the mains power off at the wall overnight with no change in peformance today.
Would the symptoms as described in my earlier post indicate a failed power-supply unit?
Any suggestions please?

Peter.

~sy~
13-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Probably not the power supply, because if it is, how does your fan get the power?

PeterE
14-01-2005, 11:01 PM
If it's not the PSU then it must be the...cat?

When a Hard Drive fails does it go quietly or graunch and grind itself the bits?

My computer just silently came to a stop.

P.

i-gordon
14-01-2005, 11:14 PM
I had something similar a while back. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but in my case it was the mobo. What brand & model do you have.

PeterE
15-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Hi i-gordon

The mobo is a Gigabyte-GA-8KNXP.

If it is a dead mobo, apart from replacing the boad, what other 'dramas' can I expect before I can get "up and running"?

Peter.

Raikyn
15-01-2005, 06:11 PM
I had something similar happen as well. It was the mobo in my case as well.

When replacing the mobo, unless you get a similar one you'll probably need to do a format and reinstallation of the OS.
Has any just installed he drivers for a new mobo and got it to work well??

And a reactivation of XP

PeterE
15-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks Raikyn

The board (and pc) is only 18-months old. There is a "24-month return to base" warranty, but I don't know if they are still available.

If XP needs to be re-installed will I loose all that is on the Hard Drive?

Peter.

Raikyn
15-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Where did you buy it from??
If it is still under warranty take it back and get them to fix it :thumbs:

As for the hard drive , you might be able to get away with just installing new drivers over the old ones, or if you have partitioned your drive and want to format you can just format the partition with XP on it.

Anyway this is all just assuming that it is in fact that it's the mobo. Best to have the correct diagnosis before worrying about might need to be done later.

PeterE
15-01-2005, 08:21 PM
The pc was built to my spec by a firm in Wellington. I will need to send the whole box of bits for them to determin the fault.

No, I had no partitions on C:\ drive.

P.