PDA

View Full Version : CS Source Server

Ash M
10-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Hey,

I'm going to get a box co-located at work, that I want to run some form of Game server off. I'm thinking CS Source at the moment.

Questions:

What kind of system will this reqiure?
- I'm thinking that just as a server (running Linux of Course) it won't have to be all that fast?

What software do I need?
- Do I need to buy a copy of CS Source to run the server? Or are there freely available server setups?

If and when I get it running (we may even do a Doom 3 one after all), any volunteers to stress/security test it for me?

Ash

Ash M
11-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Bump? Anyone?

Growly
11-01-2005, 08:26 PM
I VOLUNTEER!!!!

Erm...

You can get a free copy of the dedicated serve from a good mirror, but I haven't tried. The last time I ran a steam server, I had to download the earliest version (that happened to have the cache files that I wanted) and updated it, and ran it straight. I do know that if you buy the game you can download it... but didn't try beforehand so will not be able to confirm if you need it or not.

As for system specs, I ran CS 1.6 off a PII 200, which was average - but you do notice lag on crappy servers that isn't caused by bandwidth, so you'd be best to get a moderately decent system...